Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: $70 bucks a month! Seriously!

Good one! Might as well at that price. Are they kidding? $420 to spend hours and hours piecing...and who knows how much to have it quilted??? Please. In most of the threads i read we're all happy to have wal mart selling fabric again. However, for those that want and can get kits like this, enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    i wonder if you paid a little extra, if they would just send you the completed quilt, lol!
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    WOW---to much for my pocketbook.$420 plus tax and S&H -thats a house payment
    A HOUSE payment??? Really?!?!? Wow, I'd love to trade house payments with you!

Blog Entries
    Clubs and kits have gotten so expensive! The last time I did a Thimbleberries Club, the shop charged us $5 just for being there for the meeting each month - an additional $60 to the cost of the top - I decided to pick up my monthly kit the next day and saved myself $60! We also had issues about getting enough fabric in our kits to do the blocks - if we prewashed our fabric we didn't have enough - they cut it so close because they were having difficulties getting the fabric. All in all, if you counted the fabric we were supposed to get and what we actually got, we were short a couple of yards - no problem for me, I was able to get all my blocks from scraps and some close cutting but they should have given us a break on the cost since I felt I paid for that yardage.

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by Stitchit123
    WOW---to much for my pocketbook.$420 plus tax and S&H -thats a house payment

A HOUSE payment??? Really?!?!? Wow, I'd love to trade house payments with you!

That's a great house payment. That's less then my electric bill!
    Got fabric?

I'm sure we're paying some of that cost for the name. She is good, and the quilts are fantabulous when they're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    You're all being pretty hard on Keepsake Quilting for their price on this kit ($420), but they certainly aren't charging the highest price for it. They are the only one offering pre-cut, pre-fused pieces for the whole thing, however, and thats a lot of labor for 17 blocks plus the border details. It's out there other places at $504 for just the fabrics and patterns, but it can also be found for $250, so a very large range. I think KQ is being quite reasonable considering what you get for the money.
    I quilt mostly for the process not just for the finished product. If I want to pay someone else to do all that work, I may as well buy a quilt. But this might be just the thing for someone who doesn't like to do the cutting and only wants to sew it all together. I respect each quilter's right to choose what he/she desires.

I went in to a LQS, looked at prices, left and went to Salvation Army. Found all the material I needed (clothing) to add what is to go on my wall hanging, $1.10, compared to abut $15 at the shop. They all seem to have forgotten the economy is bad. The lady at the shop was complaining that sales were terrible. Well, DUH? Her cheapest cotton bolts were $10.99. If I had to pay that, I'd have to quit buying fabric, period.

I wonder if you paid a little extra, if they would just send you the completed quilt, LOL!
    that's the way I feel, can't afford those prices.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Blog Entries
    Receive my book this week as well. I noticed that they have gone up their prices quite a bit. I also noticed that price of their fabrics. I think I will just continue to support my LQS instead.
    Charlene

Ohhh a catalog I missed! What's Pine Tree catalogue??????
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

Blog Entries
    After paying that much I'd be too afraid of messing it up to sew it! Talk about project anxiety!

Wow - wonder who does buy these?
    Linda

Well they better give you plenty of fabric for those prices! Besides they probably put the fusing on a huge amount of it before cutting. I just won't spend that kind of money to make something besides the fact that I don't have that kind of money to spend on just one small quilt!

I love the every single pattern she ever made but I never bought one, just out of my pocket reach!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
    I do love the quilt, but no I can't go for that much money. I would rather just try and make my own version. buy some batiks and just play.
    Sounds like a plan

I guess that's what the market will bear!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    Wow - wonder who does buy these?
    Many of my guild members buy the BOMs with fabric and pattern included. They are older and don't have the desire to want to spend their time fabric shopping. They say they want to spend their time making the quilt. I have ordered many BOMs for the future as one day I may not have the means to fabric shop when the urge hits or have the time to plan a quilt. When I find a BOM kit I really like I order it. Most I have are never to be bought again nor the fabric. I have my future quilting needs met and can be content when or if the time comes when I may not have the enjoyment of planning and shopping for myself. 20 or 30 years from now I won't miss that monthly charge I paid now at all.
    Got fabric?

Re: the excitement about the house payment of $420. At least I know to consider Missouri whenever I consicer leaving California.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

Shock! I can't believe the prices we are seeing on fabrics, especially pre-cuts. Sure glad I have a good sized stash. I keep looking and buy only on sale or clearance. A fixed income at my age sure doesn't allow the "I wish" fabrics or kits.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    Whew.. I could buy a lot of fabric a month for that kind of moo-la!!!
    That was my thought exactly.

Just got my catalog and had to go check out this wonder. It is a beautiful quilt but 6 months at $69.99 plus s/h is a lot for a 56" X 51" quilt. Much too expensive for our budget.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
    One of my co-workers also gets that catalog, and brought it in. I'm sure that some day she would absolutely LOVE to make one of those quilts!

We looked at the description, and were wondering how they manage to cut all those little pieces. I assume it is die-cut, somehow? And I wonder how much it costs to manufacturer the die. I'm sure that all adds to the cost.

Well, that kind of kit is something to dream about - and only dream - for most of us. Still, they must be selling some, or else they wouldn't be advertising it in their catalog.

it has to be HAND done, or laser cut..but laser or die cut is very costly and I can not see Keepsake or anyone else paying for all those dies..it would not be profitable at all!

Yeah, for $420.00!!

I wonder if you paid a little extra, if they would just send you the completed quilt, LOL!
    Kathy Phillips

Holy Moly! Not until I hit the lottery--which won't happen since I don't play!

I like to look at Keepsake catalogs but most of their stuff costs too much and is too hard to do in my opinion. It makes me dream though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast