Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" seam allowance >

1/4" seam allowance

1/4" seam allowance

Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Since this is the first block you can make a prefrence choice. EIther keep all the blocks like the first or change the seam measurents to have the pooint hit the point. Personally I kind of like the slight difference...it makes it your personal design...Can't wait to see the finished project and all quilted.

Andie
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Does it do this on both sides have that much show?

It might be that the 1/4" on your machine may not be a true 1/4" I have to measure mine each time and put post it notes just to keep it consistant.
The more distressing problem would be if you were cutting off the point. If you know that you have measured that block so that there is 1/4 inch beyond the point, then the 1/4 inch problem is on your machine.
if you stitch the blocks together with the block on top, your 1/4 inch seam should pass through the "X" at the point.
Now, consider this: The purpose of the 1/4 inch is to try to accomplish a standard for measurement purposes, and to insure enough fabric beyond your stitching line so that the material, as it wears, will not be pulled apart at the seam.
The first book I ever used for making quilts was a Kaye Wood book that used 1/2 inch seam allowances (I haven't forgiven her for that yet!)
1/4 inch seam allowance is a factory standard for all clothing versus every one of your sewing patterns who recommend 5/8 inch seam allowance - - guess who benefits from that recommendation?
I tell you all of these facts and figures so that you can understand that there are some good reasons for that 1/4 inch seam allowance ... however!
If your blocks were mine, I might casually wonder about it, but for most of the quilt piecing we do, the amount is not as important as consistency.
It would be a shame if you became so focused on the "dos and don'ts" that you became frustrated and disappointed and paralyzed with regulations. <wave>
P. S. If you look at your pictures, your first one shows a bit of "gap" ... the second one makes that bit look like the Grand Canyon!!! I can only assume that the problem gets bigger when you get closer and smaller when you give it some space. The key is QUALITY :thumbup:
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Does your block measure the correct size before adding to the next block??? Maybe you are suppose to size the block...Looks like a SIS (square in a square) block...From the picture of the block, the sides look bigger than a 1/4 inch....
Old 02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jo Mama
Do you square up your block after it is finished and before you sew it to another block??
Yes, but make sure you don't take off too much. If your pieced block is supposed to be 8 1/2 inches (finished size 8" ) and to square it up you need to take it down to 8 1/4" DON'T do it! It won't fit with the rest of the blocks. You can shave a small amount, maybe an eighth or sixteenth of an inch. There's a way that you can square up a block using starch and steam pressing it. Do a search on this board for squaring blocks.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Leave it!! The slight bit that is not "lost" in your seam allowance will actually visually make your points sharper in the finished quilt. I always plan my similar blocks this way, on purpose. I call it "float".

Jan in VA
I agree ....good advice, Jan.