Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" foot >

1/4" foot

1/4" foot

Old 02-06-2015, 11:18 AM

I find it hard to use the 1/4" foot as it 'catches" my fabric so I use painters tape instead. While we're on the subject of feet, my elderly friend is looking for a Brother SA129 spring action quilting foot for her Project Runway and can't pay a lot. Where is the best place to look for one?
Old 02-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Power Poster

I have a compensating foot for my Juki that also fits my Baby lock Jane. I use that when piecing.It came with my Juki and not cheap at all.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM

A walking cast. --Giggle--

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Thanks, I never knew that! The right one has a walking cast then.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 PM

Default compensating foot

What is a compensating foot? I just got a new Juki at Christmas time.

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I have a compensating foot for my Juki that also fits my Baby lock Jane. I use that when piecing.It came with my Juki and not cheap at all.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:23 PM

It might not fit because of the slanted needle on the Touch and Sew. I have a T&S also, that some of my so called fits all machines feet, do not fit. I too purchased Singer attachments that do not fit my Singers; I have two different models.

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
All this time -- since I've been quiltmaking -- I've used the regular foot for my Singer Touch 'n Sew, aided by blue masking tape on the machine to mark the 1/4 inch. But yesterday while at Jo Ann's, I bought an actual 1/4 inch foot. Got home, tried it, and it does NOT fit my machine, even though it's supposedly a Singer product (marked Singer with their well known logo) and the packaging indicates it fits all Singers.

Back to the blue masking tape, I guess......or using my Brother 450Q to piece, which means I have to set it up on a table somewhere, when my trusty Touch 'n Sew lives in its own cabinet and is handy at all times.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
Always had problems with my 1/4" seam until I found this:

http://www.newleafstitches.com/index...d=15&Itemid=32

I now use my clear plastic open toe foot and this product. Best thing since sliced bread!!!
I'm happy to see that the magic hasn't disappeared from this site in the several months I've been away. It still has the power to make me buy something I didn't know I needed 5 minutes ago! Now I can't wait to try this.

We moved to be near our only grandson. There's nothing like a major move, selling a house and buying another to throw a monkey wrench into ones hobbies. Finally the sewing room is somewhat organized and maybe this new method of getting a quarter inch seam will provide a bit of impetus.

I have used a foot with a guide, and it's usually pretty accurate for me, but these guidelines on the machine bed seem as if they will give me a little bit of a head start or at least an extra measure of accuracy, especially with corner-to-corner sewing. Thanks for posting this link, imsewnso!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:44 PM

I have been using the 1/4" foot that came with my Janome. However it seemed like I don't necessarily get a 1/4" seam with it. I have tried marking the 1/4 'with Bonnie Hunter's seam guide and use my regular foot and it works.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by dee1245 View Post
It might not fit because of the slanted needle on the Touch and Sew. I have a T&S also, that some of my so called fits all machines feet, do not fit. I too purchased Singer attachments that do not fit my Singers; I have two different models.

Thanks for this. The one I bought looks as though it would fit, has the little bar across it, but it won't snap on to the slant part of the presser foot.

I'm now afraid to order one since returning something by mail is even more trouble than returning it to JoAnn's. I'll probably just go back to using painter's tape. So far I've made 8 to 10 quilts doing it that way.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I have been using the 1/4" foot that came with my Janome. However it seemed like I don't necessarily get a 1/4" seam with it. I have tried marking the 1/4 'with Bonnie Hunter's seam guide and use my regular foot and it works.
From what I have read, you have to adjust the needle position to get a correct 1/4" seam. I was using the patchwork foot with mine ("O" foot) and then read about the "O2" foot which supposedly let you get a 1/4" seam without adjusting the needle. Wrong. My sister bought me the O2 and I still have to keep my needle in a certain spot that is not the default. I still like it though.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 AM

I use Bernina feet on my 440 but when I need something special like #63 or #69 I go generic.
What made my mind about no brand feet:
http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...g-accessories/