Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The 1/4" Seam >

The 1/4" Seam

The 1/4" Seam

Old 01-13-2019, 06:00 AM

Default The 1/4" Seam

I see a lot of discussion about seam allowance and how precise it needs to be... threads and all...
When learning to quilt I think you need to be consistant as well. In teaching 4-Hers last summer, we had them mark their 1/4" seam guides and then sew four strips 2 1/2" x 20ish together on the long sides. They then pressed the seams to one side. They then cut the strip into squares which should be about 8 1/2". Surprisingly, most everyone was able to make their table runner into quite acceptable projects with well matched seams and all. Even the first time sewists did good work.
Maybe we stress too much on perfect and not enough on progress towards perfection?
These kids did as well as and in most cases better than I'd expected. Who knew teens and preteens would have so much patience.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Perfection is a noble goal, but it stinks as a standard.

Pursuit of excellence is both.

sometimes a 1/4" seam is not exactly what we need to have things end up the correct size.
it's a good, standard starting reference.

consistency is always important.

if i'm making the whole thing myself then "my full or scant 1/4" is the correct one.

if i'm making something as part of a team, then it's important that we all synchronize our seam allowances to make sure things come out the correct size - or at least all the same size so the blocks or sections will go together correctly.
-what a friend of mine swears is 1/4" seems to be closer to 1/8".
-what a different friend of mine swears is 1/4" seems to be closer to 5/16ths".
Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 AM

I heard a speaker once say to make, square up and measure the first block in a quilt. That is your size! Make the rest of the blocks like the first and your quilt will be wonderful!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I heard a speaker once say to make, square up and measure the first block in a quilt. That is your size! Make the rest of the blocks like the first and your quilt will be wonderful!
That's an excellent thing to remember!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:18 AM

My grandson age 6 can sew a perfect 1/4" seam. He said "I follow that line" pointing to the needle plate 1/4 line. I think we overthink the simple. All the gadgets and markers when all we need is to stay on the line.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

I have tried to make a perfect quilt. I have not and just do the best I can. Correcting ,mistakes and making it all work is very necessary in quilting.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM

Simplicity works if the block is a 4 patch or a 9 patch or a 16 patch, then it does not matter what size the seams are if they are all consistently the same size. If it is a mixed seam block, ie - some larger square blocks mixed with HST's or 4 patches such as the Good Fortune Quilt, then not having the expected finish size can create lots of problems sewing a block together. I aim for the finished size and mostly use a scant quarter, which for me is about 1 or 2 threads less than the standard quarter. But then, I do admit to not being able to follow the galloping horse rule either. "smile"
Old 01-14-2019, 04:33 PM

I learned the hard way not to make "scant" 1/4" seams when making star points. I think that quilt has the points of every star cut off.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:41 AM

I try.

I really try but sometimes it doesn't hit the mark even using the 1/4 inch foot. Is the fabric next to the guide or under the guide? There is a sweet spot. Generally though, there are a few threads to trim up on blocks. If the block is too small, I find the error and remake if needed.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Well since I’m new here and I’m obviously not more than a novice at sewing my 15-91 has a presser foot that is fatter on one side than the inboard side. I keep my fabric along the inboard little side of the presser foot. I measured the resulting seam allowance with a fabric tape and I can see it at a 1/4 inch. In reality I believe it’s about.210 of an inch. That’s more than 3/16 and less than 1/4 inch. I’m a helicopter mechanic I have to build by the instructions or somebody could die.
When I get done with all of my blocks I plan to lay a card board template and rotary cut all blocks to the same size. At some point I will basically have a blanket. I’m not wrapped up in perfection because it’s my first quilt. I totally understand the pursuit of perfection but unless you are competitively sewing relax, take a deep breath, say woosha. Always room to fudge when you are making something from scratch. Do it because you enjoy it don’t make it work.