Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? >

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:33 AM

Google for Postage Stamp quilts, and also look for an Eleanor Burns book on cross-stitch quilts. These use very small squares. I would think that no matter the size of fabric squares, using the "leaders and enders" method of Bonnie Hunter would prevent the fabric from being "eaten".

I love my 301 for sewing close to the edge and for very narrow seams. In making ties for baby gowns, she is a champ.

Last edited by elnan; 03-29-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: another thought after the thought
Old 03-29-2018, 06:35 AM

I have seen fantastic quilts made with finished one inch squares. Will I ever make one? Noooo! My attention span doesn't last that long. But, if you want to...a couple of suggestions. Cut enough 1 1/2 inch squares to make up for at least a potholder or mug rug. Use your single needle plate so your fabric doesn't get eaten and just start sewing. Chain piecing will make it easier. I would do a scant seam and even though it would be extra work, I would probably think about ironing all the seams open. The whole project may lay flatter. If you still want to keep going after you sew the size of the mug rug, then go for it. If you've had enough, then you have at least a project that can be finished.

Edited to add: I cannot do an all scrappy quilt. I must have order, so if I were doing this, I would figure out 1 fabric to be a constant in what would be the center of your squares or on a diagonal in each block. Or use a focus fabric as maybe a 6 or 8" or whatever size you want and make that every other block. That way you will be able to see an end to the project. I am thinking about doing something similar but with 2 inch finished blocks for one of my granddaughters.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-29-2018 at 07:34 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-29-2018, 06:39 AM

No, those squares are not too small if you have the will and desire. I sewed this quilt for my husband using the grid method. My squares finished at 1/2". I trimmed down my seam allowance to 1/8" to help with bulk. Here's the pic of mine.

It came out far better than I expected and there is no way I personally could have done it without the grid.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591879[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails yellowsub.jpg  

Last edited by lmanna; 03-29-2018 at 06:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
No, those squares are not too small if you have the will and desire. I sewed this quilt for my husband using the grid method. My squares finished at 1/2". I trimmed down my seam allowance to 1/8" to help with bulk. Here's the pic of mine.It came out far better than I expected and there is no way I personally could have done it without the grid.[ATTACH=CONFIG]591879[/ATTACH]
Imanna This is an incredible piece of work! I'm so impressed 1/2" squares! Just mesmerizing to observe!
Old 03-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

a fellow guild member showed a quilt with 1" squares sewn on a grid the other night. it was marvelous. she did not mention any difficulties using the grid.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the kind words, Judith1005. Ummmm, no 1" squares aren't too small, but I would hesitate using the grid to finish at 1" squares. Seam allowances would get int the way. I have added a link...she uses a 1" grid, but starts with much larger squares. I think the grid sizing is meant for a finished square size, not a size to start with.

http://terriesandelin.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

I would search "quilts made using Pellon 1" Quilters Grid"

These are some little quilts I made from 1" squares to finish at 1/2"...candle mats and table mats or wall hangings. FYI, traditionally pieced..."look ma, no paper!"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591880[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]591881[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]591882[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2011-candle-mats.jpg   2013-e-kleve.jpg   2013-msobolik.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-29-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:00 AM

I've done the grid with 1 1/2" squares with no problem and have the 1" square grid but haven't tried it yet. As for bulk, trimming to 1/8" seam allowance helped as did pressing seams open. Go for it.

oksewglad....love seeing your mini's again. Gorgeous!

imanna....that it amazing!

Last edited by Teen; 03-29-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:06 AM

Here is a link to a tutorial video that I looked at to see what "grid quilting" was all about! Looks like fun! Cutting all the squares would be the most tedious part, I think. Must try a small one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLa6Tb5M00
Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Kitsie, that was a great tute on how to do this. I think it might actually be much more doable (even for newer sewers) than I had thought!

My LQS does not carry it, but I know Joann's does. Looks like you can get a 10 yd bolt for $31 (US). And that is without the 40%, which takes it down to under $19. Not bad!

I think this would be a fun "quilt along" for the board members to try together
Old 03-29-2018, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

For me, yes... too small to fool with. There will be three times as much fabric in the seam allowances as what shows on the front.

I did see an amazing example of the tiny 1/2" mosaic squares quilt at a quilt show last year. A man had made a full size replica of The Last Supper painting, using all 1/2" squares... most that he had hand dyed. It looked like a person's life's work. He had to grid off the entire painting, and study and match colors, half inch square by square. Just amazing, but definitely not for me to try!