Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? >

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 AM

I routinely sew smaller bits (less than an inch) together for crumb blocks and have never had a problem with too much bulk, but I heavily starch and press until the seams are very flat and if necessary I pound them with a hammer (tailors trick). Not sure if you’ve seen some of the “inchies” posted on the internet, but if you do a search for inchies you’ll see a lot of interesting work.

edited to add- I do my own quilting so am not as concerned with bulk as a long armer might be.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 03-29-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:40 AM

I did the grid with 1 1/2” and 2 1/2” squares and hated it. I hate to do so much squaring up. Thankfully there was plenty of “sky” parts I could. I’d rather sew individually next time.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

I used the grid and it worked great, but was a little stiff. It was a wall hanging so I didn't care, but might be worth considering if you're going to make a bed quilt or a throw.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:52 AM

your quilt is awesome!!!
Old 03-29-2018, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I routinely sew smaller bits (less than an inch) together for crumb blocks and have never had a problem with too much bulk, but I heavily starch and press until the seams are very flat and if necessary I pound them with a hammer (tailors trick).
Wait...like the hammer my husband has in his tool box? THAT kind of hammer??
Old 03-29-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by lmanna View Post
No, those squares are not too small if you have the will and desire. I sewed this quilt for my husband using the grid method. My squares finished at 1/2". I trimmed down my seam allowance to 1/8" to help with bulk. Here's the pic of mine.

It came out far better than I expected and there is no way I personally could have done it without the grid.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]591879[/ATTACH]

This is what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much!

You have given me hope and inspiration!

I will not use a 1/4 inch seam, because like Tartan mentioned, it would just meet up with each other on each side. I won't be "quilting" it much when it's done. I'll just do some straight stitching.

I think I'll do blocks of 10x10 (so 100 1 inch squares) and then either join them with sashing or just join them.

I do have the fusible grid, so that makes my life much easier ... if I didn't have the grid, I wouldn't even think about it!

Thanks so much everyone!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by redstilettos View Post
Wait...like the hammer my husband has in his tool box? THAT kind of hammer??
Yes, I use a hammer and a block of wood that I lay the offending seam on. LOL

Rob
Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
This is what I was looking for!!!! Thank you so much!

You have given me hope and inspiration!

I will not use a 1/4 inch seam, because like Tartan mentioned, it would just meet up with each other on each side. I won't be "quilting" it much when it's done. I'll just do some straight stitching.

I think I'll do blocks of 10x10 (so 100 1 inch squares) and then either join them with sashing or just join them.

I do have the fusible grid, so that makes my life much easier ... if I didn't have the grid, I wouldn't even think about it!

Thanks so much everyone!
I would suggest making a quarter inch seam and trimming it. I find I'm more accurate at 1/4 than 1/8th.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:59 PM

And I just finished making a piece! What fun! Wanted to buy the fusible from them, but it seems they no longer sell it? I looked everywhere. I know there are others available. The pellon I marked was old and thick which made it more difficult but it worked. (If you decide to draw you own, make sure to draw your squares a little bigger! Like perhaps 1/16th inch.

I will take a ruler to the store to measure when I buy. Would be great for jelly roll strips to make 2" squares!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591891[/ATTACH]

PS - even with the heavier fusible, I followed the directions on the video from Ten Sisters and had absolutely no problem with seam bulk. One trick if fusible is heavy - I have an old broken, small sized knitting needle that I score freezer paper with for paper piecing and it work super well for these folds, too!

Thanks MarionQuilts! Always love to try something new!
Attached Thumbnails fusible-grid.jpg  

Last edited by Kitsie; 03-29-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: bit more info
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM

OK, Your mini quilts are marvelous.