Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? >

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

Old 03-30-2018, 04:37 AM

Carmen Geddes with TenSisters. That is what she does. Sells the gridded backing and makes beautiful quilts. Look her up....
Old 03-30-2018, 06:36 AM

Yes, you can hammer seams to make them flatter.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:24 AM

There is a site that I have been following and she uses up small scraps of fabric. I am participating in the Irish Stars quilt along but using 2" squares. She has done a quilt with 1 1/2' squares but did not advise it unless I wanted to lose my mind...(probably already have lost it). This might be something that you may want to consider using those scraps.

https://weddingdressblue.wordpress.c...on-and-basics/
Old 03-30-2018, 11:49 AM

I just watched a YouTube where someone made a quilt to be auctioned off for charity. She used 3/4" squares, glued down. Then she quilted over it all, almost like thread painting. It looked like a lot of work and time.
Old 03-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I have about 30 different fabrics that are "scraps" and came up with a brilliant idea last night. Sometimes, I've learned, those brilliant ideas are not always best in reality, so am here for a reality check before I start on something that will end badly LOL

I also have the 1 inch grid - fusible - that you can iron your squares on and then sew the seams down the line.

My main question is this: are these too small? Will I be able to sew the seams easily enough on my machine? I have new machine (one of those fancy ones LOL) But I am wondering about bulk ... and any other tips?

Thanks,
I finally found a site that sells the 1 1/2" Ten Sisters fusible! https://www.farmgirlquilts.ca
I know others maybe just as good, but would like to have the original and I couldn't find any on their own site! Wonderful tutorial, too. (see my reply and picture farther down.)
Old 03-30-2018, 01:39 PM

Thank you so much for all the tips, links and pics! I am always humbled when I come on here and ask for help and see just how much knowledge and experience is out there!

Greatly appreciated!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:37 PM

Many many years ago, before strip piecing etc. my mother and I made a quilt top completely from 1"blocks (Cut1 1/2 inch), we cut all the squares individually and sewed them together in 10X10 blocks then sewed those together. It was a job but well worth it in the end. Back in the day we were tying quilts instead of quilting and because of all the seams it does make a heavier quilt. Just a few years ago I made a Trip Around The World using 2 inch strips and hand quilted it there was no problems that I could see.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
Kitsie's block is gorgeous.

I throw away any less than 3-3-1/2". I have way too much large fabric pieces to waste time and thread on something that small.

Might try it if I was twenty years younger but, then I worked full time. So probably not.
Jingle, I'm 76 1/2 years, so no old age excuses!! But I understand!
Old 03-30-2018, 05:27 PM

I've been wanting to make a watercolor wall hanging for some time now but scared off by using squares that small, with the fusible grid I think I may be able to manage it. Thanks for this thread, will look at Joann's next time I'm that way and see if they have the fusible grid. That Beatles quilt is fabulous!
Old 03-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Jingle, I'm 76 1/2 years, so no old age excuses!! But I understand!
10 years your junior and still wondering what am I going to do with all these bits and bobs..Oh I have lots of plans!