Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this? >

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

1 inch squares - has anyone made a quilt like this?

Old 03-30-2018, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
And I just finished making a piece! What fun! Wanted to buy the fusible from them, but it seems they no longer sell it? I looked everywhere. I know there are others available. The pellon I marked was old and thick which made it more difficult but it worked. (If you decide to draw you own, make sure to draw your squares a little bigger! Like perhaps 1/16th inch.

I will take a ruler to the store to measure when I buy. Would be great for jelly roll strips to make 2" squares!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591891[/ATTACH]

PS - even with the heavier fusible, I followed the directions on the video from Ten Sisters and had absolutely no problem with seam bulk. One trick if fusible is heavy - I have an old broken, small sized knitting needle that I score freezer paper with for paper piecing and it work super well for these folds, too!

Thanks MarionQuilts! Always love to try something new!
well done! This is addicting...at least for me it is...
Old 03-30-2018, 07:33 PM

I tried the grid technique using a thin paper thinking I could remove it as with other foundation quilting, but it was much more difficult with all the crossed seams. I have an idea that you could use a product for machine embroidery, such as Vilene or Wash and Gone. These are pretty strong stabilizers (not the filmy kind that are used as topping), but they completely wash out. I've been toying with this idea for some time, but haven't really had the desire to fool around with little squares since my previous unhappy experience. This stabilizer is not fusible and you would have to draw the grid on it, but I think it would be worth a try. You can buy the stabilizer anywhere that machine embroidery supplies are sold including Amazon and Jo-ann's or shops that sell embroidery machines. I was admiring some tiny doll quilts at a quilt show, and the person who made them told me about this technique. I wish I knew her name, but quite a few years have passed.

Editing to add that you would use a fine permanent pen, such as a Micron, to draw the grid. That way when the stabilizer dissolves the ink should go with it and not transfer to your fabric.

I have to say, as others have said, that you should definitely make a single small piece before you commit to cutting a lot of fabric into such small squares. It takes almost as long to sew tiny ones together as 2" squares, and though it seems intuitively that 1" is half of 2", the 2" square is actually 4 times the area, so you are looking at a lot of sewing for very slow progress.

Last edited by Rose_P; 03-30-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:10 PM

I have made one using the fusible grid and it was a little bulky but not bad.

*Sorry, don't know why it's sideways
Attached Thumbnails bird.jpg  
Old 03-31-2018, 03:51 AM

A friend of mine makes quilts with 1 1/2 inch squares and her kids love them so she always has one in the works.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 AM

Just finished about 5 large quilt tops, told DH I was now going back to working on some littles. From my civil war scrapes I had alot of small 1 inch or so strips. So I have been busy sewing 1 inch strips into segments to make the tiny 9 patches. I just take my time sewing them together. Last night I got 100 9 patches sewn. i have done the 1 inch grid too. On page 2 of my photos album are some small quilts using 1 inch squares and some using 1 x 2 and 2 x 2 pieces.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180324_090536467.jpg  
Old 03-31-2018, 11:36 AM

I use the cut-n-press board, lay out a lightweight iron on interfacing, glue side up. Just using the grid on the cut-n-press, I arrange my 1 inch squares, 1 x 2 or 2 x 2 on the interfacing, them press per directions on the interfacing. The little quilt pic shows one just ironed on and the other one is already sewn.
Attached Thumbnails img_20180331_120808075.jpg   img_20180331_120756037.jpg  
Old 03-31-2018, 11:50 AM

I have seen a couple masterpiece quilts done from 1” blocks. One was done by a member here and is a near photo quality picture, bed size quilt of her golden retriever, and the other hangs in a local church and is approximately 5’ x 8’ and covers a full wall of the sanctuary, that is a duplicate of the classic picture of “Jesus Knocking At The Door”. I have no idea who actually made that one, but it is stunning. I will try to get a photo of it to share.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:31 PM

So happy to see your name and so sorry I've not kept in touch. Health issues have been most of our life lately. As for making 1" square quilts - I would like to preserve as much of the sanity I have left. Love the look, but not for me.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Success! I cut out all my squares - wow! Lots of little pieces everywhere. My parrot is having a field day!

Here's what I have so far: they are 10x10 (when I start LOL)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]591990[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_2348.jpg  
Old 03-31-2018, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
Just finished about 5 large quilt tops, told DH I was now going back to working on some littles. From my civil war scrapes I had alot of small 1 inch or so strips. So I have been busy sewing 1 inch strips into segments to make the tiny 9 patches. I just take my time sewing them together. Last night I got 100 9 patches sewn. i have done the 1 inch grid too. On page 2 of my photos album are some small quilts using 1 inch squares and some using 1 x 2 and 2 x 2 pieces.
Lovely just lovely....

I love working with this size, too. Here's my rendition:

A big mini!