Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: #1 NEWBIE question

Wow many # 1 questions here, have Quilted for years and still have Questions, amazing how many turn out OK without following the Rules, yes there are general rules / methods, but remember no Quilt Police !! Any newbie can probibly PM another member and get an anwser, "Know it wouldn't bother me." also a spot for adoptions, Sign up, or use the "search button" so many posts here to learn from,and often several options/opinions :)

Remember Have Fun with it !!

tahnk you Kitsie
    i was wondering about the back stitch , and so now i know it was worrying me i was thinking now i am going to sew these pieces without a backstitch and my luck its all going to come undone thank you for clearing this for me
    HUGS Dora

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I couldn't tell you what I didn't know. Everything was so foreign to me, I didn't even know what the question was.
    Strangely, I get answers on the QB daily to questions I didn't even know I had.

As a newbie I would want to understand the terms of fabric (straight of grain, cross crain, and the dreaded bias)

For traditional sewers, it would be important to learn about the new tools (rotary cutter instead of scissors, strip piecing instead of templates.)

My very first mistake was to NOT change the needle in my sewing machine for a LONG time. So basic machine maintenance would be a good topic to cover.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tdgiffin
    For me, the binding part is really intimidating, and any tips on making sure you cut properly would be great. I have these all in a book now, but a tutorial that contained everything would be great (lots of pictures too!)

Also, maybe a sampling group of pictures for easy patterns. I never know what to pick, except that people here have really helped me!
    Try this:
    [url]http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm[/.url]

1. how to figure out how much material to buy
    2 How to use a rotary cutter and mat
    3 best off the quilting books for newbies, lots of pictures are very helpful
    4 quilting terms
    5 how to find a mentor.

Suggestions/Reminders -- like 1) there are NO quilt police and 2) dive in, don't be afraid.....if you're nervous about the first quilt, go to thrift shops and buy old sheets or fabrics cheaply and 3) ENJOY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2