Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   #1 NEWBIE question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-newbie-question-t64762.html)

martita 09-14-2010 03:33 PM

I'm going to put together something to help all the new and aspiring quilters out there. Thus, I need to know what is, or was the biggest question you have or HAVE had making your first quilt.

No question is a dumb question, if it keeps you from making your first quilt! :D

Martha

Jodie02b 09-14-2010 03:38 PM

Being a very very new newbie, let me first say that is a great idea!

I think my first questions had to do with quilting terms, fabric sites and beginners tools (supply list). You know what else I think would be nice a list of beginner projects.

Qbee 09-14-2010 03:42 PM

Wow....that is a loaded question and I could fill a book with questions and I have questions that I don't even know I have yet...LOL. I will tell you that just going through the posts today I have had a few:

1. What do the acronyms stand for (ie: UFO, WIP, etc.)?
2. What is the difference between applique and paper piece?
3. What are some EASY and FAST 1st projects for a newbie?

I would also include the basics:

1. How do I get 1/4 inch?
2. What does my machine have to have to quilt (ie: walking foot, etc.)?
3. A list or reference to a list of all the different patterns for the blocks would be good.
4. How to square the fabric up to cut it?
5. How to properly rip stitches....I didn't know this one and totally messed up a square...ripped the fabric :(

I know there are TONS and I will add as I think of them. If you decide to do this maybe it should be in a topic that stays at the top like "What every Newbie ask" or something.

Thanks!!

quiltnmom 09-14-2010 03:50 PM

I would probably have to say one of my #1 questions is thread -- what kind/what brand? Cotton, polyester, monofiliment? What's the difference? Does it really matter? What color do I use? Do I match it with the top or use a contrasting color? Do I use the same in the bobbin as in the needle? Wow, who knew there could be so many questions about thread.

KathyAire 09-14-2010 04:40 PM

I couldn't tell you what I didn't know. Everything was so foreign to me, I didn't even know what the question was.

stefanib123 09-14-2010 04:43 PM

1. Where do I start? What supplies do I need?

2. What are some beginner patterns?

3. What type of fabric/thread?

4. What type of battting?

5. What quilting methods to use?

bearisgray 09-14-2010 04:49 PM

How to deal with conflicting advice?

thelondonzoo 09-14-2010 04:53 PM

Fantastic idea!

I'm a newbie and my biggest questions right now are:

What is paper piecing and how do I learn to do it?

Where can I find a tutorial video for applique?

grammyp 09-14-2010 05:03 PM

I guess mine is "But why not?" I never accept that something can't be done.

deema 09-14-2010 05:04 PM

The colour wheel confuses me. I've read a few tutorials on it, and I still don't get it.

FAQ's about batting - types, loft, what kind is best for what kind of project, what kind is best for machine vs hand quilting.

Jargon list - when I decided to make a quilt, I had a friend ask me if I was piecing or quilting right now...huh? Piecing what now? I hadn't even cut my fabric yet. lol

I spent a lot of time trying to understand the difference between straight vs bias binding, and which I should use.

Hmm...if I think of any more, I'll add them...