Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   #1 NEWBIE question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-newbie-question-t64762.html)

Kitsie 09-15-2010 09:12 AM

My advice to Newbies? Get a few decent books! Libraries usually have them. Most magazines have some instruction. There are thousands and having one or two around is great for running to look up something. Take a few classes. I'm assuming that, like me, you don't know any quilters that can teach you.

Ask us questions! That's what we're here for! But just one or three at a time, please! Many, many resources and tutorial can be had via the internet, also!

Start with a very easy pattern, maybe a kit and you'll learn a lot by "doing".

Go for it!

Twisted Quilter 09-15-2010 10:15 AM

Wow...my problem as a newbie was picking out the fabric. I would spend hours in the store and come out with nothing. It was really an overwhelming experience. Any advice, tips, hints, in how this area would be wonderful.

martita 09-16-2010 04:28 PM

Wow. These are all great questions! I never would have thought of so many of these questions that new quilters face! :-)

Dora 09-18-2010 12:09 PM

ok i got a couple of questions
when your sewing the pieces together why do we not do a back stich to hold the thread i mean wont the stitches come out without the back stitch
i have been wondering this
HUGS dora

Kitsie 09-18-2010 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dora
ok i got a couple of questions
when your sewing the pieces together why do we not do a back stich to hold the thread i mean wont the stitches come out without the back stitch
i have been wondering this
HUGS dora

Dora, if another seam will be crossing over the first seam that will "lock" the first seam. If that doesn't make sense I can draw you a picture. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Quilting!

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-18-2010 01:02 PM

Wow many # 1 questions here, have Quilted for years and still have Questions, amazing how many turn out OK without following the Rules, yes there are general rules / methods, but remember no Quilt Police !! Any newbie can probibly PM another member and get an anwser, "Know it wouldn't bother me." also a spot for adoptions, Sign up, or use the "search button" so many posts here to learn from,and often several options/opinions :)

Remember Have Fun with it !!

Dora 09-18-2010 01:16 PM

tahnk you Kitsie
i was wondering about the back stitch , and so now i know it was worrying me i was thinking now i am going to sew these pieces without a backstitch and my luck its all going to come undone thank you for clearing this for me
HUGS Dora

MadQuilter 09-18-2010 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I couldn't tell you what I didn't know. Everything was so foreign to me, I didn't even know what the question was.

Strangely, I get answers on the QB daily to questions I didn't even know I had.

As a newbie I would want to understand the terms of fabric (straight of grain, cross crain, and the dreaded bias)

For traditional sewers, it would be important to learn about the new tools (rotary cutter instead of scissors, strip piecing instead of templates.)

My very first mistake was to NOT change the needle in my sewing machine for a LONG time. So basic machine maintenance would be a good topic to cover.

Kitsie 09-18-2010 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
For me, the binding part is really intimidating, and any tips on making sure you cut properly would be great. I have these all in a book now, but a tutorial that contained everything would be great (lots of pictures too!)

Also, maybe a sampling group of pictures for easy patterns. I never know what to pick, except that people here have really helped me!

Try this:
[url]http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-51632-1.htm[/.url]

nonnie 09-18-2010 04:07 PM

1. how to figure out how much material to buy
2 How to use a rotary cutter and mat
3 best off the quilting books for newbies, lots of pictures are very helpful
4 quilting terms
5 how to find a mentor.