Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   #1 NEWBIE question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/1-newbie-question-t64762.html)

martita 09-14-2010 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I couldn't tell you what I didn't know. Everything was so foreign to me, I didn't even know what the question was.

LOL. Thats pretty cute!

theoldgraymare 09-14-2010 06:10 PM

When I first started quilting, I would have loved to have a list of useful quilting books, the "must-haves" for a quilter's library.

SharonAnne 09-14-2010 07:50 PM

I need to know about washing a newly completed quilt. Some say do so, some say don't. I'm afraid if I wash it, it will shrink or distort or run or fall apart. I'm afraid if I don't, and the recipient washes it, the same thing will happen and I'll be VERY embarrassed.

akrogirl 09-14-2010 07:53 PM

When I started, I couldn't find anyone who could tell me what a "scant" quarter inch was.

Laura3 09-15-2010 02:38 AM

Marking quilts and what to use can be very confusing...

I also think its important to let them know that a Christmas quilt may not be done til Easter! Just enjoy the journey and don't stress about end date....

leatheflea 09-15-2010 02:46 AM

The importance of cutting. you can have great fabric and a great pattern but if you cut wrong it gets ugly real fast. stitches can be taken out, borders changed, pattern rearranged, but one ugly cut and the whole quilt is cattiwhompus!

tdgiffin 09-15-2010 03:36 AM

For me, the binding part is really intimidating, and any tips on making sure you cut properly would be great. I have these all in a book now, but a tutorial that contained everything would be great (lots of pictures too!)

Also, maybe a sampling group of pictures for easy patterns. I never know what to pick, except that people here have really helped me!

Tally Kathy 09-15-2010 04:24 AM

With my first quilt - about 12 years ago, I didn't even know about rotary cutters, or mats. I hand sewed my first 3 quilts. They were quite primitive looking I think.
A good tutorial or good basic book would have been very helpful. The most inspiration I still receive is getting together with other quilters, of all levels. And I have a friend who is a gifted quilter who is patient and encouraging not only to me, but to all quilters.

bearisgray 09-15-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
I need to know about washing a newly completed quilt. Some say do so, some say don't. I'm afraid if I wash it, it will shrink or distort or run or fall apart. I'm afraid if I don't, and the recipient washes it, the same thing will happen and I'll be VERY embarrassed.

If the fabrics and batting are washed before cutting - then distortion, shrinkage, and fabrics bleeding would not be an issue.

The only remaining issue would be on how the sewing was done.

SharonAnne 09-15-2010 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Originally Posted by SharonAnne

If the fabrics and batting are washed before cutting - then distortion, shrinkage, and fabrics bleeding would not be an issue.

The only remaining issue would be on how the sewing was done.

:oops: Guess I should wash before I start from now on. I think I will fluff it in the dryer with a damp towel, press, and give as is and let them worry about washing. And, of course, pray that it is OK. My last one turned out OK when washed, but who knows about the book panels... Live and learn. Thanks so much for your comment.