Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this a 10-minute block?

I don't think it's the 10 minute block, but it sure is pretty!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    I don't believe it is a 10 minute block. Sewing a 10 minute block you need 5 - 10" (optional) block - 4 to make the large square block and one to fold/sew in center to give it a 3d look

Maybe a bow-tie set on point?

If diamonds are the 10 minute block, the centers will be double on top of the the four squares.
    Have a Blessed Day

Banned
    I just saw that pattern on the web; unfortunately can't remember where.
    Probably could be done in 10 minutes
    You could applique the black square after joining the 4 blocks.
    Or, be careful to make same sized triangles in each corner before joining the 4 blocks

Blog Entries
    That is not the 10 minute block pattern I have, if you google 10 minute quilt block it will take you to u tube and you can see the 10 min block tutorial... This one looks like it would be fun, but I don't know the name of this block... looks sort of like bowtie. just MO

It is not a 10-minute block. However, if one understands the construction method of the 10-minute block, one could easily accomplish this result using that technique. Note that the black "on point squares" would be 3 dimensional.

It's similar to the 10 minute block pattern but it's defiantly not it.
    The 10 minute block uses whole large squares and this one looks like it uses 1/2 square triangle for the larger blocks.
    I think you could make this quilt using the 10 minute block pattern but you would have to make your large squares first (out of the triangles) so it wouldn't be 10 minutes any more.

Blog Entries
    it can be made as a 10 minute block , just using a smaller square. but it also can be done with triangles. the setting is still on point.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

it is a very cute quilt
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

Dix
    Blog Entries
    If you look at the 10 min. block, it has only like a 4 square with the block in the middle. Look at 10 min. block online and it will show the difference. I love the 10 min. one. Have played around with it, but have not made a quilt. Yours looks maybe a kind of bow tie. Very pretty!

Blog Entries
    http://www.thequiltshow.com/os/quilt...lts_id/1019662 rectangle blocks with small inserted squares.
    http://www.thequiltmakershoppe.com/10minutetile.html
    also using smaller inserted squares. tried to find qlts set on point but didn't find any yet.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
    I don't think it is the 10 minute block. It looks like half square triangles with a small square sewn on one corner.
    I'm more inclined to agree with this, although I think it could be made using the 10 min block technique also.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I agree with quiltngolfer...HST with a triangle sewn on a corner.

It looks like a spool block to me using different fabrics

In the 10 minute block, all the squares are the same size including the middle square. I think this is just half square triangles with a triangle sewed to one side. Put four together and you have your square in the middle. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
    I sure like that pattern. It looks simple enough. Maybe it is only a 10 minute block. In that case it will take me 20. Thanks for sharing.

Once you figure out the first block (can be a bit tricky), the rest are truly a 10 minute block....I just finished a quilt using the 10 minute block and I had 12 blocks done in about 2 - 2-1/2 hrs.

Blog Entries
    I tend to agree, it does look like HST's with small triangles added to two corners opposite the seam. simple but you just have to be sure to get all your triangles sewn the same way/size. so they will all meet up well to form the "diamond".
    and i've done 10 minute blks with different inserted square sizes. they don't all have to be the same size. you get different looks doing that.
    have fun!!

I recently made a 10 minute block quilt. It appears that the difference with the photo posted is that the large squares were made by using half square triangles. The 10 minute block pattern I used does not use the half square triangles which would take longer than 10 minutes to make, for me anyway! This quilt was most likely assembled the same way after the triangle squares were made. Hope this helps!

Blog Entries
    I believe it to be the 10 minute block. It would be a bear to add a small square in the middle of triangles. It looks like the middle square is cut smaller than the squares made of 1/2 sq. triangles.

Doesn't matter if they are whole squares or squares made up of 1/2 Sq. triangles. A square is a square.
    Last edited by katesnanna; 07-08-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    The 10 minute block is easy. First block takes 30 mins rest take 3mintues each.
    5 squares all the same size. The one for the middle different colour.
    Take middle square and fold in half. Place the folded square at the bottom of one of the other square so that the edges of folded square and other square line up .1/4 inch Seam goes down the square all edges up over the fold and up to top . Join 2nd square by sewing down line just done do exactly same with other 2squares on opposite nd of middle
    Lay flat should be 2sq folded thehen2sq. Catch hold of centre of middle square on the folds and pull opposite ways. They will fit in the space between 2sets of squares. Sorry easier to do thn say try utube for more info.
    Look at Angie quilts blog as samples of our quilts there.

Difficult bit catch hold centre of the middle squ
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have demoed the 10 minute block for Suzanne McNeill--she has a u tube demo. I think this is a 10 min block. Even tho you start with 5 squares that are equal size, you end up with the small square at the center. It can be left "square" or edges can be curled so that it looks like a cathedral window

I use this same pattern for the "bow-tie" quilt. Found a beautiful partially started quilt top at an auction. I copied the pattern and finished the design. If you look at it just right, you will see the bow-tie design.

I think it's HSTs. I have some 10 minute blocks on my design board now, and even turning them on point, they just don't look quite the same. Nice quilt, though. Love the colors.

I bvelieve that the quilt is composed of half square triangles. There is a smaller triangle sewn to the inside corner and when combined with three other blocks makes the black square in the middle of the block. This is an easy pattern but very effective, especially with home spun fabric. Be sure to show us the finished product...... I think that it could be made as ten minute block but you would have loose edges on the black center block.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast