Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
10 stitches later >

10 stitches later

10 stitches later

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 AM

DH bought me those plastic ridges that you stick onto your ruler, making a barrier between your hand and the rotary cutter. Whoa is me when he sees me forget to put that side next to the cutting edge! Also, I bought that new straight edge that has knobs that press into the fabric so nothing slips, but I don't use it so much because it doesn't have measuring lines on it. I expect they will come out with measuring lines when they turn out their next batch. People will snatch them up!
Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 AM

Sorry that happened to you. I was told to make sure I wear shoes when rotary cutting because someone dropped the cutter on her bare foot and you can guess what happened!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:18 AM

I cringed and nearly felt the pain as it brought back a memory of a needle going through the middle of my forefinger all the way through breaking a bone in my finger when I had my monogram shop. Thank goodness there was no one in my shop at the time because I hopped around saying some very ugly words that I didn't even know I knew!! Thanks for sharing your experience to warn all of us to be careful.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:33 AM

OUCH!!! Looks like someone else will have to cook for you tomorrow
Old 11-23-2011, 02:50 PM

I have mentioned this before but a friend of mine had many stitches after her rotary cutter slipped off the table onto her bare foot. A word to the wise ...
Old 11-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Oh how terrible!!! I hope you heal quickly and get back to quilting soon. I try to be so careful when cutting, as I am kluxy. I am the one who sewed her right pointer finger this summer.
Originally Posted by tatavw01 View Post
10 stitch later, I sliced a big chuck off my left index finger nail and all. So be careful with your rotary cutter!!!! Maybe I need the Fons and Porter glove LOL!!!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:50 PM

I am cringing just from reading this. I think I need to look at the gloves before this happens to me.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 PM

What a painful thread this was! I am still cringing! think I will look into those gloves...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
I know your pain. In August I cut a chunk off my left index finger too. I immediately grabbed a cloth and held it tight to stop the bleeding and my DH took me to the ER. No stitches because the chunk was gone! They checked the cloth I had been holding around my finger and the chunk wasn't there. When I got home I checked my cutting mat...no chunk.....but lo and behold there it was ........stuck to my rotary cutter blade and all dried up. I ordered a Klutz glove immediately!
I did the EXACT same thing in September! Like you, there was nothing to stitch and it was such a large chunk that my finger is permanently deformed and I still get a tingly feeling anytime I apply pressure to the area. I bought the suction cup handles for my rulers but am not crazy about them. I considered the Klutz glove but was afraid it wouldn't stop the blade if it happened again.
Now when I watch youtube videos and the demonstrator cuts her fabric without handles or gloves, I cringe.
I hope your finger heals well with no problems.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM

That really sucks!!!! Hope someone else is doing the cooking tomorrow!!! Happy TG to everyone.