Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-23-2011, 02:24 PM

Our LQS always has some material for around $4.00 a yd. I pick something that will look good then buy several yards of it to save for backing a quilt.

mltquilt
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM

i wish....lol but i will keep looking.....have a couple quilts needing backing....
Originally Posted by mltquilt
Our LQS always has some material for around $4.00 a yd. I pick something that will look good then buy several yards of it to save for backing a quilt.

mltquilt
Old 03-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Cheaper in WalMart, possibly the same thing, maybe even a different name on it though. Sheets have a lot of fabric yardage for a good price.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM

I buy sheets for backing all the time but I live in Southern Ontario and I have access to Giant Tiger (small town department store) and Lens Mills about an hour away. I can get 200 count or more cotton sheets at either place for less than $10 for a flat King. Sometimes they are seconds but I seldom find anything wrong with them although once I was surprised and got red stripes in the middle of a dark blue sheet that I didn't see until I went to use it. I used it anyway! I always buy the King sized if they have them as then I have extra to make a pillow case or two. I store all finished quilts in matching pillowcases so I know what's in there without shaking out the bag. Watch out for loosely woven (sleezy sheets) at Walmart. They tend to be the $5 specials in the aisle and are no good for quilting. I'm always hunting for sheets as I buy them for my guild's Community Projects. The last time I shopped for sheets and my 21 year old son was with me. His comment after seeing me load my cart with a dozen, "Mom, just how many mis-matched sheets can one family use anyway?"
Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM

Target carries 100% cotton sheets. Try there.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:14 PM

I will check Giant Tiger next time I go ...there is one about 100 km away ..ty for you suggestion....
Originally Posted by Shelbie
I buy sheets for backing all the time but I live in Southern Ontario and I have access to Giant Tiger (small town department store) and Lens Mills about an hour away. I can get 200 count or more cotton sheets at either place for less than $10 for a flat King. Sometimes they are seconds but I seldom find anything wrong with them although once I was surprised and got red stripes in the middle of a dark blue sheet that I didn't see until I went to use it. I used it anyway! I always buy the King sized if they have them as then I have extra to make a pillow case or two. I store all finished quilts in matching pillowcases so I know what's in there without shaking out the bag. Watch out for loosely woven (sleezy sheets) at Walmart. They tend to be the $5 specials in the aisle and are no good for quilting. I'm always hunting for sheets as I buy them for my guild's Community Projects. The last time I shopped for sheets and my 21 year old son was with me. His comment after seeing me load my cart with a dozen, "Mom, just how many mis-matched sheets can one family use anyway?"
Old 03-23-2011, 07:20 PM

I buy sheets at the thrift stores for backing. You can find cotton there. Whole sets top , bottom and pillowcases for $7 to $10. Lots of fabric there. I've even used the poly blends. I make quilts for the kids to drag around on the floor and let their dogs sleep on. Silly to spend any more than I have to on them.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Check out the sheets at Ross Dress for Less. Everyone in my area says they are highly reasonable for quilt backs. I have never been in there. Out of my way.. but a popular solution and great prices they say... like $10.00 for a sheet.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 AM

Target has 100% cotton sheets that are wonderful and soft, I watch for them to go on sale and stock up. I read somewhere that the higher the thread count the harder to quilt. I've never found 100% cotton at Walmart, they have some that are "cotton rich", but they feel like they are a mix. I also look at Ross, Marshalls and TJ Max they have some cute prints that are perfect for children's quilts, but you have to be careful and read the label, make sure they are cotton.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 AM

Okay, I have a silly question. When you are buying sheets, are you buying a set or just the top sheet? I was just thinking about the people working at the store wondering why they only had fitted sheets left.