Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >
  • 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

• 100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-24-2011, 02:46 PM

Back in the late 70s, when money was tight, I used three sheets to make a hand stitched quilt. I did channel stitching or I called it channel trapunto where two lines of stitching are stitched through two sheets about a quarter inch apart are stitched all around the picture then a thick yarn pulled between the channels in the top. Then I added batting and a sheet backing. It won a blue ribbon!! My pictures aren't good (white on white) but it is an eagle with arrows in the talons. Each feather is channel stitched. I didn't know any better at the time, but a quilt made of sheets won a blue ribbon!

Close up of stitches. Real close!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]174428[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-174421.jpe   attachment-174422.jpe  
    Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    Originally Posted by huntannette
    was looking at cotton sheets in Sears.....since a lot of you use them for backing...thought i`d give it a try.....but know nothing about thread count..my question.....what do you think ....for $27.95 brand new???? But the thread count puzzles me...what is 200 per square inch...want something that will be easy to quilt....
    As a fellow Canadian, I hear your pain!! Cottons are SO expensive here! I haven't used sheets for quilt backs, but there are loads of quilters on this board that swear by them! A couple of ladies said that they buy used ones as they have been washed and washed and are nice and soft. I don't know how you feel, but I simply can't pay $22.00 per metre for quilting fabrics. I order from Connecting Threads - check out their website. They deliver to Canada for $7.00 shipping (if you place your order online - I think is is $14 if you place it by phone) and charge 10% taxes so everything is paid for upfront. You don't have to pay any additional taxes or duties. Their cottons are fabulous! Nice and thick and great quality. They have loads of solids and beautiful prints that they offer in "collections". Check out their clearance section - they often have kits on sale as well. Good luck and happy quilting!

Linda
    this is the shipping table for CROWNESTQUILTING. i order from them a lot and find them reliable and friendly.

http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL.../Shipping.html

Edit to add: i forgot to say that the prices are excellent.
    Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by applique
    Back in the late 70s, when money was tight, I used three sheets to make a hand stitched quilt. I did channel stitching or I called it channel trapunto where two lines of stitching are stitched through two sheets about a quarter inch apart are stitched all around the picture then a thick yarn pulled between the channels in the top. Then I added batting and a sheet backing. It won a blue ribbon!! My pictures aren't good (white on white) but it is an eagle with arrows in the talons. Each feather is channel stitched. I didn't know any better at the time, but a quilt made of sheets won a blue ribbon!
    applique - could you please post a picture of the entire quilt? That looks gorgeous!!!
    Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
    Originally Posted by applique
    Back in the late 70s, when money was tight, I used three sheets to make a hand stitched quilt. I did channel stitching or I called it channel trapunto where two lines of stitching are stitched through two sheets about a quarter inch apart are stitched all around the picture then a thick yarn pulled between the channels in the top. Then I added batting and a sheet backing. It won a blue ribbon!! My pictures aren't good (white on white) but it is an eagle with arrows in the talons. Each feather is channel stitched. I didn't know any better at the time, but a quilt made of sheets won a blue ribbon !
    applique - could you please post a picture of the entire quilt? That looks gorgeous!!!
    I have a show coming up April 2nd and 3rd and this is one of my earlier quilts they requested. I will try to get a good photo of it hanging there and I will post it for you.
    Old 03-24-2011, 05:01 PM

I run a long arm quilt machine at our local quilt shop. The other quilter did an all over pantograph pattern on 2 sheets w/ batting. The sheets had a high thread count and she had a very difficult time quilting. You don't want a real cheap fabric but you also need to realize that a high thread count will make the quilting difficult. The needle has a harder time piercing the fibers when they are woven so tightly.
    Old 03-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Thank you - will be watching for the picture (complete with blue ribbon!!!).
    Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I`d be very very lucky to find anything for $4.00 here...last time i did, the fabric had to be cut up because of lines all over....
    Originally Posted by mltquilt
    Our LQS always has some material for around $4.00 a yd. I pick something that will look good then buy several yards of it to save for backing a quilt.

mltquilt
    Old 03-24-2011, 06:01 PM

ty for the great link....i will certainly check them out
    Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by Quiltmaniac2010
    Originally Posted by huntannette
    was looking at cotton sheets in Sears.....since a lot of you use them for backing...thought i`d give it a try.....but know nothing about thread count..my question.....what do you think ....for $27.95 brand new???? But the thread count puzzles me...what is 200 per square inch...want something that will be easy to quilt....
    As a fellow Canadian, I hear your pain!! Cottons are SO expensive here! I haven't used sheets for quilt backs, but there are loads of quilters on this board that swear by them! A couple of ladies said that they buy used ones as they have been washed and washed and are nice and soft. I don't know how you feel, but I simply can't pay $22.00 per metre for quilting fabrics. I order from Connecting Threads - check out their website. They deliver to Canada for $7.00 shipping (if you place your order online - I think is is $14 if you place it by phone) and charge 10% taxes so everything is paid for upfront. You don't have to pay any additional taxes or duties. Their cottons are fabulous! Nice and thick and great quality. They have loads of solids and beautiful prints that they offer in "collections". Check out their clearance section - they often have kits on sale as well. Good luck and happy quilting!

Linda
    this is the shipping table for CROWNESTQUILTING. i order from them a lot and find them reliable and friendly.

http://stores.ebay.com/CROWSNESTQUIL.../Shipping.html

Edit to add: i forgot to say that the prices are excellent.
    Old 03-24-2011, 06:02 PM

the only one here i find quite expensive
    Originally Posted by Bobbin along
    Thrift store, thrift store, thrift store! :lol:
    Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM

yes, but both stores are quite far away.....
    Originally Posted by rb.
    Zellers usually has unadvertised, discontinued linens at very good prices. They carry good sheets, too. And believe it or not, Sears is the same. At Sears, they're usually on sale, and then marked down further at the cash register.