Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 PM

thats what i was afraid of....
Originally Posted by MarieM
I run a long arm quilt machine at our local quilt shop. The other quilter did an all over pantograph pattern on 2 sheets w/ batting. The sheets had a high thread count and she had a very difficult time quilting. You don't want a real cheap fabric but you also need to realize that a high thread count will make the quilting difficult. The needle has a harder time piercing the fibers when they are woven so tightly.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

When I use sheets, I go to Goodwill or a consignment shop and pick them up there. You can usually find New or almost brand new. And they are easier to guilt threw. Just give a wash and go for it. The more the thread count, the harder to guilt threw.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by huntannette
ok thanks....might not then...lol think i`ll stick to fabric!
To me fabric backing is more interesting because it can be anything...fabric from the line used on the front or a fabric that also blends with the front fabrics...Sheets are just that...but to each his/her own...as the first person stated it was just what she liked...not that there is anything wrong with using sheets...I just like my backs to go with the front ....
Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM

IMHO...I think a person should use what their budget affords. During days of slavery, they saved old work pants, dresses, shirts, bedding clothes and any thing else they could get their hands on. Quilting is my hobby and I do it for fun but also have to keep myself in check with costs for I can spend and spend and spend on fabrics, notions, etc. And I think as a new quilter I had to start "building a stach" which I did not have. I am now haunting the GW,s, Kidney Foundation thrift stores, etc,, looking for 100% cottons of any type clothing and woolens. Can I afford to by at the LQS, yes; but I also choose to
look for bargains as well, like the reamants in the quilt stores, WM, JoAnn's Hobby Lobby. I don't think people really know what the cost of fabric will begin costing because of crop failures, changing economies. Moda fabric is printed in Japan as are other fabrics. We have to use what ever we need to support our quilting requirements or addictions!! Thanks for letting me ramble on... I love the QB
Old 03-24-2011, 07:33 PM

Ok, I'm going to add another comment. Have those looking for backing fabrics thought about the fabrics that are the extra wide cut especially for quilt backings? If you add in a 50% off coupon then you would save with the purchase cost.

Also John Flynn has a great article on how to calculate the fabric necessary for quilt backs so that you do not have a seem down the middle. His process helps to have the back help so that the quilt hangs straight and helpful also for when the quilt is stored.

I've always heard those experienced with hand quilting and those who LA quilt express that they do not like when either hand quilting because it is more difficult and when machining tends to also have problems.

Pam M
Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Yes, I was thinking the same. they are no longer 100% cotton and also they are no longer as cheap. Some one mentioned IKEA. for me that is a long drive but if I ever go there I might look. I usually find something for $4-6 fabric a yard for backs.

Originally Posted by huntannette
yes, but can`t find 100 % cotton sheets at Walmart here...only poly blends
Originally Posted by suezquilts
I hate to plug Walmart, but their sheets are a lot less, they are 200 ct and 100% cotton, perfect!

You can buy most IKEA stuff online so maybe you can save the drive BUT....a lot of their sheets/pillowcases are the cheapest fabric I've ever seen, maybe 100 thread count or so. I bought a handful of flat crib sheets to use as a backing for a big quilt after I sewed them together (they were 99 cents each) and well, I never made it that far. They looked so awful after I prewashed them that I gave them to Goodwill.

I use these on my give away quilts instead of paying $30 to 50 for a backing. I had a customer spend $81 on a flannel backing, that is a lot of money.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by applique
Back in the late 70s, when money was tight, I used three sheets to make a hand stitched quilt. I did channel stitching or I called it channel trapunto where two lines of stitching are stitched through two sheets about a quarter inch apart are stitched all around the picture then a thick yarn pulled between the channels in the top. Then I added batting and a sheet backing. It won a blue ribbon!! My pictures aren't good (white on white) but it is an eagle with arrows in the talons. Each feather is channel stitched. I didn't know any better at the time, but a quilt made of sheets won a blue ribbon!
It's beautiful. Looks like it' still in good condition.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM

With puristic quilters this may not fly, but if you're determined to bring it in budge, check the thrift stores- often there is a variety of sheets- preshrunk and many colors. Think outside the box
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by milp04
Ok, I'm going to add another comment. Have those looking for backing fabrics thought about the fabrics that are the extra wide cut especially for quilt backings? If you add in a 50% off coupon then you would save with the purchase cost.

Also John Flynn has a great article on how to calculate the fabric necessary for quilt backs so that you do not have a seem down the middle. His process helps to have the back help so that the quilt hangs straight and helpful also for when the quilt is stored.

I've always heard those experienced with hand quilting and those who LA quilt express that they do not like when either hand quilting because it is more difficult and when machining tends to also have problems.

Pam M
Would love to read Flynns article, do you have a link?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
IMHO...I think a person should use what their budget affords. During days of slavery, they saved old work pants, dresses, shirts, bedding clothes and any thing else they could get their hands on. Quilting is my hobby and I do it for fun but also have to keep myself in check with costs for I can spend and spend and spend on fabrics, notions, etc. And I think as a new quilter I had to start "building a stach" which I did not have. I am now haunting the GW,s, Kidney Foundation thrift stores, etc,, looking for 100% cottons of any type clothing and woolens. Can I afford to by at the LQS, yes; but I also choose to
look for bargains as well, like the reamants in the quilt stores, WM, JoAnn's Hobby Lobby. I don't think people really know what the cost of fabric will begin costing because of crop failures, changing economies. Moda fabric is printed in Japan as are other fabrics. We have to use what ever we need to support our quilting requirements or addictions!! Thanks for letting me ramble on... I love the QB
You are so right. Back in the 70's when my grandmother was still alive, I used to sew most all my own clothes, even a few outfits for my boys who were 4 or 5 at the time, so she got all the scraps. Then one Chrilstmas she gave me 3 quilts, one for each of my boys, and 1 for me. I still have 2 of those quilts, one needs 14 blocks re worked, and the other 2. I hadn't looked at them for years, but over the weekend I did. What a trip down memory lane, there were Dads pj,s, (mostly in shreds), scraps from some of my favorite dresses, scraps from the boys outfits, etc. They were not fancy patterns, just a nine patch, and one on rectangles 7"x 9' laid out like a brick wall. I plan to fix them and pass them on to the boys now that I am the grandmother. :D