Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100 year old signature blocks >

100 year old signature blocks

100 year old signature blocks

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 AM

I have no suggestions, but just wanted to tell you that I love those blocks and what a treasure to have something from family that many years ago. What ever you decide please post pics :)
Old 01-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Oh what a wonderful treasure is in your hands. I agree with the glass frame suggestion, you would want to preserve those wonderful signatures.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Wow... I don't know what I would do... but they sure are fantastic!

Hugs
Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Toto's Mom
I need some help deciding what to do with 23 signature blocks that were hand pieced and signed in 1911, before my paternal grandparents were married.
I suspect this was for a wedding quilt, but don't know. There are blocks signed by my great-aunt, both Great-grandmothers, and one by an 88 year old lady ( in 1911), and numerous others of old New England heritage, from that small NH town.
Now....... I am debating whether I should use repro cottons, and hand assemble this into a quilt, or whether I should just leave them as a stack of blocks? I can and would do this by hand, as they are deserving of that much respect.
My Grandmother had them safely stored for many years, and then my Mom kept them safe when she inherited them from Dad's side of the family.
I know they are probably not of any real monetary value, but they are a part of my heritage that some day, I might pass to my daughter or grandson, if they develop any interest in family heritage.
I need some ideas, and recommendations as to what would be the best thing to do with these.
Would you assemble them into a small quilt?
Would you leave them as blocks and donate them to a museum in that area?
They are done from odds and ends, so there is no color scheme, but just what scraps of fabrics they had on hand, although the blocks are all done in the same pattern, except for one.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any advice.
Nancy
I'd make them into a small quilt-----maybe make on block where you explain the other blocks.

I'd set tehm together with a black tone on tone grid.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

What ever you decide to do with them, they will be a treasure to share with your family.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
from working with the historical society I can tell you that you do NOT want to make a quilt out of them now. Even if they were stored well and not in a cedar chest or cardboard box, the dyes/fabrics used back then can not handle A-being handled and B- being washed in today's water/detergents!
Any exposure now will change them rapidly. The more handling the more damage!
You could make them into an album! Stitch a very nice thick cotton muslin cover like a binder and hand stitch them all into it like a book! You could make a cover page that gives the history of them. Then store that in wrapped in acid free tissue paper in an archival box!
Remember, cotton is always alive..it is a living fiber. It breathes the air you breathe and absorbs oils, odors, etc..
if you frame them make sure you have a professional do it so the air is not cut of from them and they dry rot!

Many historians are now saying not to even quilt vintage tops! Especially if they are of great quality and have signatures!

See if you have local museum that can assist you in finding the best way to display if you must!
I agree.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM

I put together an antique quilt top simular to yours. Not all the blocks were quite the same size, I made adjustments without hurting the integrity, These were probably from the 30's all the ladies have passed on, some I knew. I used sashing that had tiny roses in mauve, Since there weren't enough blocks for a whole quilt I filled in with same size blocks of muslim that I had hand embroidered a large rose. My MIL name was missing and the block should have beeen easy to do, it took me 3 hrs. to get that dag gum block done. I FMQ the whoe thing except the center of the roses. If it falls apart in the wash someday so be it. I vowed to finish what my MIL never did. It is beautiful. You have to measure the value of your heirloom. Obviously someone intended for the squares to be put into a quilt.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:17 PM

Do you have someone like a daughter or son who would appreciate the family heritage? I think a quilt should be part of the family, even if it is just displayed. If you can find a good way of making it into a quilt that would not damage it, I would do that. It would be fun if you have pictures of some of these people. Our family has spread out over the years, so we don't have the daily reminders of family.
Susan
Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 PM

Wonder if the last block was the center block that represented the one who was to receive the quilt??? Just a thoughts.

Sorry it took me a bit to get the photos. My computer is nearly a 1911 vintage, too, and about as lively.
Has some age related difficulties.
Hope these pictures come through.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:17 PM

Definately keep them and piece into quilt or wall hanging. Too precious to give up!!!
I need some help deciding what to do with 23 signature blocks that were hand pieced and signed in 1911, before my paternal grandparents were married.
I suspect this was for a wedding quilt, but don't know. There are blocks signed by my great-aunt, both Great-grandmothers, and one by an 88 year old lady ( in 1911), and numerous others of old New England heritage, from that small NH town.
Now....... I am debating whether I should use repro cottons, and hand assemble this into a quilt, or whether I should just leave them as a stack of blocks? I can and would do this by hand, as they are deserving of that much respect.
My Grandmother had them safely stored for many years, and then my Mom kept them safe when she inherited them from Dad's side of the family.
I know they are probably not of any real monetary value, but they are a part of my heritage that some day, I might pass to my daughter or grandson, if they develop any interest in family heritage.
I need some ideas, and recommendations as to what would be the best thing to do with these.
Would you assemble them into a small quilt?
Would you leave them as blocks and donate them to a museum in that area?
They are done from odds and ends, so there is no color scheme, but just what scraps of fabrics they had on hand, although the blocks are all done in the same pattern, except for one.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any advice.
Nancy