Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100 year old signature blocks >

100 year old signature blocks

100 year old signature blocks

Old 01-11-2011, 10:30 PM

please don't piece them and hang them. the weight will cause drag and hurt the fabric.

since they have never been used they have excellent research value. discuss it with your children and they may feel that the best place for them is a museum that can take care of them properly (humidity and climate control, etc.) it would be a wonderful thing to allow everyone to see this piece of history.
even if they don't immediately display them, they will become part of a rotating display that you can be proud of donating.
please consider this.

p.s. i donated a crocheted bedspread (the most intricate one i ever saw) that was made by my husband's grandmother in about 1895 in europe, to a museum that was delighted to have it. when it is displayed (not always) a card is shown telling who donated it. my family feels very proud.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM

I too would love to see these blocks. I think that they are deserving of great respect. Not only are they an interesting item but they are a symbol of the strength, creativity and passion of the women in your family. They deserve to fulfill their destiny. If you are able to hand make the quilt I would get together with my favorite group of quilters and hold a quilting bee to assemble the quilt.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 PM

You didn't say what size the blocks are, but whatever, please do something toward making them a part of your legacy. My daughter has her grandmother's quilt that was made around 1940. She signed this quilt on one block. To make the story shorter, when I received them at her death, they were blocks. I finished them into a double bed size top, and finished it with batting and backing (hand quilted). I also signed it as the date I completed it. Yes, it is a part of my mother's legacy, so why not make it a part of yours? You will never regret it.

Originally Posted by Toto's Mom
I need some help deciding what to do with 23 signature blocks that were hand pieced and signed in 1911, before my paternal grandparents were married.
I suspect this was for a wedding quilt, but don't know. There are blocks signed by my great-aunt, both Great-grandmothers, and one by an 88 year old lady ( in 1911), and numerous others of old New England heritage, from that small NH town.
Now....... I am debating whether I should use repro cottons, and hand assemble this into a quilt, or whether I should just leave them as a stack of blocks? I can and would do this by hand, as they are deserving of that much respect.
My Grandmother had them safely stored for many years, and then my Mom kept them safe when she inherited them from Dad's side of the family.
I know they are probably not of any real monetary value, but they are a part of my heritage that some day, I might pass to my daughter or grandson, if they develop any interest in family heritage.
I need some ideas, and recommendations as to what would be the best thing to do with these.
Would you assemble them into a small quilt?
Would you leave them as blocks and donate them to a museum in that area?
They are done from odds and ends, so there is no color scheme, but just what scraps of fabrics they had on hand, although the blocks are all done in the same pattern, except for one.
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and for any advice.
Nancy
Old 01-12-2011, 05:24 AM

I would prob assemble into a simple quilt to be treasured by family.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 AM

May be you could send the pictures to Barbara Brackman and ask her advice? She answers more questions of readers of her blog . She knows so much about history of quilts and is alays so kind to share her knowledge
http://barbarabrackman.blogspot.com/
As it's part of your famile's legacy it's important (imho) to preserve it for future generations.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:34 AM

How lucky for you.... they are great!
Old 01-12-2011, 05:56 AM

do you have any feed bags you can use for fabric to help make into quilt
Old 01-12-2011, 06:45 AM

I took an archival framing class some years ago taught by an expert from England. We were taught to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER but antique fibers under glass as that would be the thing that would hasten the damage. Please check with an expert which your museum probably has and if not contact Embroidery Guild of America for advice.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 AM

I am going to suggest that unless any group they are donated to has sufficient funds, the item will likely never get public exposure or the proper handling. Proper archival treatment is expensive and most of the local groups are small non-profits. Many have suffered great over the last couple of years. If the people or families names have made significant contributions to the committee, your item may receive better handling.

My suggestion is if you want to go the donation route to find out how and where your donation will be stored and used. (eg. are they going to take the time and expense to treat it properly and do they have proper storage for the item). Some of the local groups do not even have rules for handling of items in archives.

Myself, I would likely use them, display them and pass them through the family. I would take the time and expense to make sure I did it in the way that was least likely to damage them.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Banned

Suggest you contact the group doing quilt documentation in the area where the quilt is from. Also you might contact the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Ma and discuss with them.