Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
108” fabric >

108” fabric

108” fabric

Old 07-26-2021, 12:36 PM
JRW

Default 108” fabric

Has anyone ever cut a piece off of a 108” width and attached it to the same piece on the length? Is there any noticeable difference visually?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

I think only if it was directional print would anyone notice. ?
Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 PM
JRW

That is what I am hoping….I hate to go buy it and find out different. Luckily I will be buying beige so hopefully it will work out.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 PM

It would be on a fabric by fabric basis. Part of what makes quilting fabric what it is, is an even weave so we should be able to turn it one way or the other. But if there is any sort of treatment or coating, (including on the threads that are woven) it can reflect differently. Sort of like corduroy up one side and down the other. If you can see it on the bolt, simply turn back a corner and get back about 6 feet and look at the turned up corner compared to the fabric still wrapped around the bolt.

But any difference (if any at all) is likely to be very subtle and this is the back we are talking about. I think you will be ok. To help hide seams, if you can, choose a print.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I do it all the time, I haven't noticed a difference.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:13 AM

Some do, some don’t. My suggestion would be to lay the bolt on a counter at the fabric shop, unroll a couple yards and lay a width-wise piece on top of the length-wise piece to check before you buy.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:36 AM

I piece backing all of the time like you suggested. Honestly, after the quilting is done that extra seam to extend the length or width, seldom shows.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

• My whole reason for buying 108” wide fabrics is so I don’t have to piece my backs- so I purchase the amount I need for length- sometimes 3 1/2 yards sometimes 4. I do at times cut off some of the width- when I don’t need that wide. I just fold it up & add it to the shelves to use in another project . I see no reason why you couldn’t piece as desired unless you bought a directional print. It would be the same as piecing any regular cotton fabric
Old 07-27-2021, 06:51 AM

I've also done that as well as piecing width and length pieces together, seems fine to me. Maybe a member of the quilt police, along with a magnifying glass could spot it; but after it is quilted I don't think so.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Lengthwise yarns are stronger and more stable. That means less shrinkage in comparison to widthwise yarns. So, instead of risking different shrinkage rates, preshrink your 108" fabric and it should work fine, assuming it won't make any difference to the fabric's pattern.