Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 15 reasons for not changing needle

Quote Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
    I would have hit the hard liquor, at the very least a very large glass of wine.....
    I'd have gone for wine too! Lol

Blog Entries
    Thank you Sandy -its been a long week at the machine here. I was changing bobbin thread color -well I pinned and sewed about a dozen blocks together only to find the new bobbin still on top of my machine.So I decided it was time for a break-so I put my shoes on to go to the bank and pay the electric bill.Well I forgot the bill come home to get it and found I had locked myself out of the house.Grrrrrrrrr. My son crawled thru a window.Then he tells me I should keep my windows locked.I'll be going out to pay the elec and on to Lowe's for a couple keys-one for the kids and the other for my 2nd set of car keys so I can lock the window and give the kid one less thing to razz me about.

I hear you, I have had a few of those duh myself!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
    Thank you Sandy -its been a long week at the machine here. I was changing bobbin thread color -well I pinned and sewed about a dozen blocks together only to find the new bobbin still on top of my machine.So I decided it was time for a break-so I put my shoes on to go to the bank and pay the electric bill.Well I forgot the bill come home to get it and found I had locked myself out of the house.Grrrrrrrrr. My son crawled thru a window.Then he tells me I should keep my windows locked.I'll be going out to pay the elec and on to Lowe's for a couple keys-one for the kids and the other for my 2nd set of car keys so I can lock the window and give the kid one less thing to razz me about.
    Oh my! That's the kind of day that makes it worth crawling into bed with a good book, a candy bar, followed by a long nap and dinner out!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    Personally I think sewing machines should have a function built in that whenever you say a certain cuss word, out pops a chocolate.

Blog Entries
    Oh, you should have him install a keypad entry on your garage door! Just input the code and you're in like flynn!

I knew there was a reason to keep chocolate in the house!

Yes, yes,yes

I've always believed chocolate was one of the necessities for all quilters.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

ok....all these admissions....i just have to know....anyone else ever sewed your finger into the seam.....just the tiniest little bit of skin, right by the nail...don't even feel it til you go to move your hand and you're stitched to the quilt? no blood, no pain.... thankfully i haven't done it in a long time .... ok dang ! now i've jinxed myself !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Chocolate is a very important sewing necessity! I've stopped sewing, because of an empty bobbin (good time for a break) . . . then gone back and started sewing again.
    If that had been me, I would have gone back to sewing without ever having put in a new bobbin. Sometimes I feel so brainless!

Blog Entries
    One of the advantages of getting old is that the kids all have kids of their own and can leave me alone.
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

If you were closer, I'd gladly share my chocolate AND wine, with you!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by peckish View Post
    personally i think sewing machines should have a function built in that whenever you say a certain cuss word, out pops a chocolate.
    Like Button!!!

I don't cuss at my machine but I do yell at it, from time to time. "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?!?" It knows better, than to answer.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    ok....all these admissions....i just have to know....anyone else ever sewed your finger into the seam.....just the tiniest little bit of skin, right by the nail...don't even feel it til you go to move your hand and you're stitched to the quilt? no blood, no pain.... thankfully i haven't done it in a long time .... ok dang ! now i've jinxed myself !!!
    Don't think I've ever done that but it's a wonder.

Yesterday, I learned why one should not keep needles, in the same place as pins. . . .
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    Yes. I know, I have done that too! I feel so stupid when that happens. You would think I'd have learned the first time. lol

been there, done that!

Power Poster
    Sounds like my day - decided to be nice and change the needle on my machine, can't remember when I last put a new one in, although I haven't quilted for nearly 6 months due to a ruptured disk in my neck, surgery and rehab. Anyhoo, put the new needle in, spent 15 minutes trying to thread needle, was doing the last bit of top stitching to a Bow Tucks handle, and yup - ran out of bobbin thread. Filled the bobbin again, then of course had to spend another 11 minutes re-threading the needle, etc.,etc., got a phone call - well at least I finished topstitching the handle - tomorrow is another day. LOL

Blog Entries
    Those kind of days seem to happen more often as I get older.
    Abiding in the Vine

Blog Entries
    Well - ditto, ditto, ditto. My machine does "yell" at me when I leave the pressure foot up and try and sew; the icon on the setting window does flash if my thread breaks, but not when the needle isn't threaded, or when the bobbin runs out. Of course, the bobbin thread on my machine usually runs out a few inches before finishing what ever I was sewing - or just as I have made the perfect miter on one of the binding corners. You would think with all the technology someone out there would figure out how to build a dsm that would hold a larger bobbin and figure out how to put a light in the bobbin area so you could really see how much thread was left without having to take your fabric completely out from under the pressure foot. When I get to the point where I am having to undo/re-do whatever at the machine - I turn it off and walk away for awhile - usually to go and read for awhile (preferably with chocolate of some sort close to hand or a cup of coffee - or I do some hand work. Oh ya - if I drop a needle or a pin on the floor, DH's bare foot is usually the one that finds it. Kinda like he always got the bay leaf in his spagetti and meatballs!
    Jan

I'm so glad you had some chocolate on hand! Nothing solves problems like chocolate!!!

Blog Entries
    sounds like something I would do. you started my day off with a good laugh, thanks and I will try not tr repeat what you did, as I have done before myself, many times
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

ditto, ditto........

Now that is funny! I have to admit I've done something similar but not with that many. Gave me a good chuckle this morning.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    Done that! Also sewed most of the first long strip on a 1600 in quilt without bobbin thread. Didn't even notice until I was almost at the end of that looooong seam!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast