Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 reasons for not changing needle

Blog Entries

15 reasons for not changing needle

Put a new needle in, phone rang. Answered, had long conversation with niece. Came back to machine, pulled thread to back, lowered presser foot, and chain sewed 15 sets of 4 1/2" squares. Used the thread cutter and started to pull the squares back to cut apart. You all know where this is going don't you.. well, duh. I never re-threaded the needle. Said a few choice words, went and had some chocolate, then came back and threaded the needle and sewed 15 sets of 4 1/2" squares together again.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the chuckle this afternoon. I bet that could have been any one of us.

I would have hit the hard liquor, at the very least a very large glass of wine.....

It is such a RELIEF AND BLESSING to know that i'm not alone !!!!!!!!!

I have definitely been there! You know what the worst part is? The 1/4" seam is always perfect.

That's quilting in a nutshell. Some days the best of intentions aren't enough. Murphy and his set of laws is following you every step of the way. I just walk away from it after a whole lotta choice words. Absolutely a glass of wine can help!

Power Poster
    ...and it usually happens are carefully guiding some tricky bit under the needle before it moves. Then I lift the pressure foot to check the seam and.....Another favourite of mine is forgetting to change the foot and switching to a fancy stitch.

Goodness graceious.....it is so nice to know I am not alone......be there--done that...usually when I am under the gun time wise.....which is why I refuse any more to deal with deadlines, had them all my life while working, refuse yes refuse to have them now when I am retired....start christmas now, finish by Halloween...then its down hill all the way.

Look at the bright side--at least you had a good reason to eat chocolate! Hope it tasted good.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Chocolate is a very important sewing necessity! I've stopped sewing, because of an empty bobbin (good time for a break) . . . then gone back and started sewing again.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I have had that happen too. Empty bobbin also. I will think the bobbin is close to running out and check it often, of course I keep sewing and think it will last until I'm done. You guessed it, after sewing a long seam, as in a border. Go to cut the thread and yep, I ran out not long after I started. I just put in a new bobin and redo it. Getting angry is a waste of time, it would happen too often with all I the ways I can screw up.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Yup, been there!

Blog Entries
    Been there, done that, without the interrupting phone call.....try explaining that to your husband who just heard a string of not very nice languange coming from the sewing room!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Quote Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
    It is such a RELIEF AND BLESSING to know that i'm not alone !!!!!!!!!
    You are definitely not alone. I'll bet 9 out of 10 quilters have done this at one time or another. Maybe even 10 out of 10. I always feel so silly for not catching it before I have gotten too far along.
    Kitsy

Power Poster
    been there - done that -

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have had that happen too. Empty bobbin also. I will think the bobbin is close to running out and check it often, of course I keep sewing and think it will last until I'm done. You guessed it, after sewing a long seam, as in a border. Go to cut the thread and yep, I ran out not long after I started. I just put in a new bobin and redo it. Getting angry is a waste of time, it would happen too often with all I the ways I can screw up.
    Did that yesterday! Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks the bobbin will magically last until I've finished sewing.
    Wendy in VA

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Wine would have been better lol wow hope you got the blocks together

been there, done that with all the above==and, knowing me, at least most will happen again. 8^P

Blog Entries
    Amen to that! You could add carrying the sissors to the phone, or one of the fabric pieces etc.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

What a cute story.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Oh I am so glad someone else has that problem too !!LOL Chocolate cures all of those types of mishaps for sure !LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

For me, it'd been a cold miller lite and chocolate! Goes great together! I have sewed a whole bunch, then discovered bobbin had ran out!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Been there, done that. Won't say how many times I've done it. Lol.
    Laura

"Amen!" to all the above! I did the "I think the bobbin will last" with my very first quilt - of course it ran out halfway through sewing on the binding. Just took a deep breath, thought, "Well, I guess I need the practice!", filled the bobbin & did it again. :P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast