Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1930-1940's quilt pattern--Interlining?? >

1930-1940's quilt pattern--Interlining??

1930-1940's quilt pattern--Interlining??

Old 02-18-2021, 07:13 AM

Default 1930-1940's quilt pattern--Interlining??

I recently got some vintage quilt blocks. In the listing it indicated that they were most likely form the 1940's. After some additional google searching I was able to locate the original pattern----Laura Wheeler Designs's Calico Cat Quilt pattern 1583. I bought a copy of the pattern from an online place (not sure I can say where). I was thrilled to get the pattern to finish and add to the 28 blocks that I had purchased. But as soon as I began reading the pattern I got very confused. In the yardage chart, the pattern indicates the need for Sheet cotton interlining. The pattern goes on to describe several steps to the block assembly: making the block (cat applique), Interlining, joining the blocks, making the border, and lining. What is the sheet cotton interlining? The paragraph begins with saying: Interlining: sheet cotton, which is sold in folded sheets, is used for interlining. Use sheet cotton folded and cut a square the size of the block without seam allowance. Baste this double interlining to the back of the block. In some stores it is possible to get quilt interlining in one piece large enough to cover the entire quilt.......... Is this the batting? and the last step labeled Lining the backing???? (The cat applique is on what appears to be a muslin fabric). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:25 AM

From the description it appears to be either a foundation (like interfacing) piece or the background square. Re-read the description and see if it sounds like that is what you sew your applique to or it just lines each square and keeps everything stable.
No, it's not the batting.
bkay

edit: If you get overwhelmed with it, consider using alternating plain blocks or sashing to make it the size you want.

Last edited by bkay; 02-18-2021 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added thought
Old 02-18-2021, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
From the description it appears to be either a foundation (like interfacing) piece or the background square. Re-read the description and see if it sounds like that is what you sew your applique to or it just lines each square and keeps everything stable.
No, it's not the batting.
bkay

edit: If you get overwhelmed with it, consider using alternating plain blocks or sashing to make it the size you want.
Hello--I should have said quilt assembly not block assembly when describing the steps. The first part of the directions describe the applique process onto fabric 1. The interlining step is a different step. Also, there were only 8 out of the 28 blocks that were finished with regards to the embroidery of the cat details. So I am finishing all the embroidery work. That was why I was excited to find the pattern to see how it compared to the original person making it.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:42 AM

Here is the definition of interlining: Interlining is a fabric added to a garment when more warmth is needed, like in a winter coat. It may be a heavy fabric with batting added, or a lighter weight one like flannel or fleece. Interlining can be constructed separately from the actual garment (it's sometimes removable), or used as an underlining.
I hope this helps.

Old 02-18-2021, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Awwwdorable!
Would love to see the blocks that you have.

From the description, I would read it as sheeting aka bed sheets. We don't see sheeting so much nowadays, so you could just use a sheet or a plain cotton.

Purpose? the way I read the instructions you copied is ..... Applique to the background fabric. Then the interlining fabrics are cut minus the seam allowance and add to the applique block. Do the instructions continue about assembling the quilt sandwich? I am wondering if this is a quilt without batting? and the interlining helps give some "substance" to the quilt?

Personally, I wouldn't fret about the construction of the quilt to match the pattern instructions. Enjoy the blocks you have, and proceed with today's methods and materials, keeping with the heritage sense of it all.

For those interested, here's a link to some pics of the pattern ......
Laura Wheeler Designs Calico Cat Quilt pattern 1583 - Google Search
Old 02-18-2021, 12:03 PM

Thank you all--I will have to figure out how to upload a photo.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:01 AM

I wonder if the interlining was used to prevent the show-through you get sometimes with applique.