Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR >

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 AM

It is hard to mix friends and business - next time use a non-friend to do the quilting. I agree about the folded batting - that is just sloppiness.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Somehow on one baby quilt the bobbin tension got loose when one of my students was using the HQ. I removed the bad stitching and requilted the baby quilt myself. Funny story about this particular quilt. After my student spent hours choosing the right shade and pinks and greens for which she was being paid, she found out the quilt was for a dog. She would have done her best anyhow, but wouldn't have been so fussy about the shades of pink. :lol:
Old 12-04-2010, 05:00 PM

since this was the wife of your co-worker, there's no way in the world you can say anything in any way that will not change the relationship you have with the man. anything you say will hurt his and his wife's feelings.

the deed is done. do you want her to take the stitches out and redo it? do you want a discount? if you just want to vent, then do it here where we understand. otherwise it's going to be very hard to work with him. all you can do is never use her again. if he should ask you why, tell him your cousin does it for you now.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:51 PM

In my opinion, any longarmer who is doing quilts for pay is responsible for her business. And that means making your customers get what they pay for. (No, they're not ALWAYS right, but do have a right to what they pay for.)
Talk to her. Not a note through a third person. Tell her that you are disappointed and why. She should offer to fix it or refund some of your money if not all. This sounds like more than a "communication" problem. It sounds like she is not as experienced as you were led to believe. The large fold in the backing is unacceptable. Not clarifying what you wanted for a pattern is not good practise.
Either way, YOU have to step up and talk with her before she takes on another client. Give her a chance to make it right.
Just my opinion , as someone who is starting out doing "cheque" quilts.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Just curious. How much did she charge for this quilt?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 PM

After time to think about it - you are right I am not going to say anything as I do not want to jeopardize my working arrangement with her husband (he's great, love him to death-she is really nice to although I don't really know her). Just THANKFUL to all of you who responded and listened!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 AM

Hi Laurie,
Sorry to hear of your experience. Recently I had a problem similar to yours. I go to a quilt group and said at one meeting I wanted a long evening dress making for our forth coming Ruby Wedding Anniversary party. How I wish now, I hadn't said anything. One of the girls said I will make one for you! How nice I thought. My DD came with me to choose a design - Of which I had made an initial sketch of, and a fitting. She showed me a couple of dresses she had made and they were really lovely. When she came round with it on the Monday before the party on the Saturday - with a couple of fittings in between- when all seemed OK, it was NOTHING like the design I wanted - I couldn't lift my arms up - or out - No smoochy dancing with my DH !! I panicked and we went out and after a long search - many shops I found a suitable dress. PHEW !!
I had paid for the material (shot chinese silk and organza) and initially she wanted payment for making it too, but after a chat I just paid for her petrol expenses. I have got nothing to show for it and no material - I couldn't do anything with it anyway.
I have also learnt a lesson from this and won't do that again. I have seen her since and we had a hug - and I said no bad feelings - I know she felt uncomfortable -
Dot.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 AM

Well, I guess it was a learning experience. I hope you had a wonderful time at your event!!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
So sorry you had a bad experience like this. Since size can be a subjective thing ("Large", "Medium", "Small" ), I have a pic of meandering examples that I show customers with a ruler laid across it for scale so they can see what my interpretation of those sizes means. I think and hope it helps to avoid miscommunication. If I were you, though, I would definitely tell her about the fold since it indicates a lack of attention to the tautness of the backing and/or batting.
I agree S,M,L can be very subjective. I know, my expextation of a large meander differs greatly from other quilters I know. But, until I floated the batting and top on the LA frame, I had problems with the batting bunching up because it stuck to the top or bottom when the quilt was advanced. Perhaps this is what is happening. Not until I was familiar with the LA process, did I realize how nice those machines are that have some kind of release mechanism to help keep the layers smooth.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:00 PM

I am going to keep you in mind for next summer when I want to LAQ for myself --when in Bobcaygeon. Sounds like you would be a good teacher.

Originally Posted by allie1448
I am new to LA' and check the back and batting top and bottom each time I roll to ensure there are no folds and pleats. I just run my hands over but also look underneath every time. I have no plans to quilt for others but plan to rent out time on my machine and I have already made this technique part of the teaching when clients take their first lesson on the machine. I am so sorry you had this issue and wish you lived nearer to me then you could come and quilt your next project yourself!!