Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR >

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

1st Longarm Experience - GRRRRRRRR

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I am also brand new to LAing and have not done anything for anyone else, YET. I plan to quilt for others. If I had someone who was not happy with my work I would want to know as well so I would not repeat the same mistake.

Regarding the fold in the batting, My rack has the batting hanging loose, it is not on it's own rail. I "float" it on the quilt backing then the top. However with each advancement of the quilt I check it. My rack has a wonderful feature in that I can lift the rail that the quilt top is on to actually inspect the batting to ensure it advanced smoothly with no wrinkles. It can happen depending on the rack set up. Not all LA racks are the same, similar yes but some have very different features.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:00 AM

I have a long arm business and treat every quilt as if it were my own - I would not accept a 'lump' of batting on mine nor should you. As a long armer, she should be continually smoothing as she goes - you would definitely feel the lump. The size issue can be a problem... however, it doesn't really sound to me that you got a meandering period.

I would hope that a customer of mine would talk with me if they were not happy with the job I did - this is the only way I would be able to be able to correct it or not have it happen again.

I'm sure your friend is going to love the quilt - she will be thrilled to have a piece of you with her all the time.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Banned

I am sorry that you had to recieve that quilt back with a pleat in the batting. I have done it myself and before I take any quilt off the longarm I roll it row by row to run my hands one the top and the bottom. To make sure that that didnt not happen. I also do that to make sure god forbid there was a pin or something else left in there after the delicate surgery that has taken place. I wold also let her konw that there is a pleat and prove it to her so she cant back peddle. If I do bad I expect someone to make such a statement about my work. It makes me a better longarm konwing that. I hope you can get this resolved with the longarmer.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by twospoiledhuskies
Thank you all for your comments. You are right about checking the batting. I did do that when I cut it to take to her. The lump is only on one side. Something must have happened when she loaded it.

I would have thought she would have seen it (I did right away) as it's 3 thicknesses of batting. OOOOO well - it's done.

On to the next one!!! :thumbup:
It wouldn't matter how smooth YOU made the batting, I meant the LONGARMER should have made it smooth. No excuse in my book for that!

Dave -- thank you! It's so darned true, it's scary!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:48 AM

First off, you are the customer, and you have the right to tell her when you are unhappy. Anytime that you have someone quilt for you, have them show you examples of what they say they can do. Most LAQ's have examples ready to show customers.

There is no excluse for the batting fold however.

Sorry for your experience, but if you learn from it, you can keep from simular experiences in the future.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments - I'm over it. I'll know better next time. I did write her a note so she knows.
I'm going to send a pic to you can see it. Thanks again
Old 12-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

After seeing the pictures I am speechless.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:35 AM

I am new to LA' and check the back and batting top and bottom each time I roll to ensure there are no folds and pleats. I just run my hands over but also look underneath every time. I have no plans to quilt for others but plan to rent out time on my machine and I have already made this technique part of the teaching when clients take their first lesson on the machine. I am so sorry you had this issue and wish you lived nearer to me then you could come and quilt your next project yourself!!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 AM

that is exactly why I do not send my quilts out I have taken several machine quilting classes and invested in a Bernina with the BSR foot and it is hard work but I do my own also check with quilting shops as the ones here has long arms you can pay an hourly fee for
Old 12-04-2010, 06:41 AM

I think I would show it to her and tell her gently that she might want to be more careful in the future. If she appreciates your business and wants more of it, she'll try to compensate in some way for the mess up. In the mean time, I'm sure your friend will love the gift , screw ups and all because you made it especially for her. Afterall, its the thought that counts.