Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1st quilting problem >

1st quilting problem

1st quilting problem

Old 12-31-2017, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
Old Fashioned Me, but I always begin quilting from the center out. Otherwise you have boxed yourself in.
That is my comment as well when working on a domestic sewing machine
Congrats on completing your top
Happy quilting 👍

Last edited by FabQuilter; 12-31-2017 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:54 AM
Power Poster

My bit of experience tells me that you might have that stiffness for all the reasons you stated but it shouldn't be a problem if you wash the quilt when you are done binding it.

As far as the quilt going off square. This will happen and I never square up a quilt until after it is quilted. If you like to baste the edge before you start quilting, I would remove it in sections as I worked to the edge of the quilt just like removing basting stitches so the fabric can move out from the center. Even with basting the batting will want to shift a bit as it is worked.

one of my tricks is to make any borders an inch or two wider than What I want it to finish at and then I have enough to trim and square up at the of quilting.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:11 AM

Someone told me to sew around the perimeter. I thought you were supposed to (along with stitch in the ditch top to bottom and side to side, which I did not do).

I have another one to sandwich today, so I have another chance to learn something else. The one I will sandwich today had mitered multiple borders. Now, I know why you can't just make it look right. I had to re-do 3 out of the 4 corners.

This is good however. I have the fabric for a panel that has 5 or 6 borders that are mitered, so my learning experience will stand me in good stead.

Thanks for your help.

bkay
Old 01-01-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Someone told me to sew around the perimeter. I thought you were supposed to (along with stitch in the ditch top to bottom and side to side, which I did not do).

I have another one to sandwich today, so I have another chance to learn something else. The one I will sandwich today had mitered multiple borders. Now, I know why you can't just make it look right. I had to re-do 3 out of the 4 corners.

This is good however. I have the fabric for a panel that has 5 or 6 borders that are mitered, so my learning experience will stand me in good stead.

Thanks for your help.

bkay
Years ago I saw a video of making multiple mitered borders where she put all the borders together before attaching any of them to the quilt itself. Might be worth looking for. Good luck!
Old 01-01-2018, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

I don’t like to sew around the perimeter first. At most I might use safety pins to keep the edges from separating and remove the pins as I go. I want the edges to be loose so any excess fabric isn’t trapped there.No chance of a big pucker at the edge that way. I don’t think perimeter sewing does anything to keep a quilt square.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I don’t like to sew around the perimeter first. At most I might use safety pins to keep the edges from separating and remove the pins as I go. I want the edges to be loose so any excess fabric isn’t trapped there.No chance of a big pucker at the edge that way. I don’t think perimeter sewing does anything to keep a quilt square.
Old Fashioned Me, again, but I pin and then baste, from the center out, then quilt from the center out, and I have never had a pucker or fold in the backing.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:59 PM

Make sure your needle is the correct size for the thread. I always start from the middle and work my way to the edges. Use a walking foot. Do not sew around the edges until you are done, the quilt stretches a bit, even when pinned. I sew a big + through the quilt, that way the quilt is divided into 4 parts. Sew up one side and then go the opposite way. You can do a continuous stitch , up and down and back and forth, then cross way.