Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 2 1/2 pre-cut strips

I bought some pre-cut strips from an online site and now I'm wondering if I need to pre-wash them before using? They are cut using pinking shears so would they ravel?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I wouldn't wash them. If you are worried about bleeding just throw a Shout color catcher in when you finish the quilt.

I would be a little afraid to wash them first even if they are pinked. As sometimes I have had those to ravel. Best to make the project and then wash.

Banned
    I agree with the others - I wouldn't wash first.

Thanks,
    Sherryl
    Candlequilter

i would not wash first

I wouldn't prewash them. But then, I never prewash any fabric.

Well, I'll be the odd ball out tonight. I would wash them. I've washed all the strips I've gotten, but I do it in the kitchen sink - warm water with a little Woolite and swish them around. Then rinse til there is no color in the water. Then I lay them out on towels, roll up, squeeze as hard as I can and the iron away. Almost no fraying with this method.

Don't wash another person on site did and regretted it. They tangled and frayed more...she wasn't happy.

Blog Entries
    I would not want to buy a Jelly roll since it is not prewashed. I like mine prewashed since I do not want any surprises...I did not wash one quilt and the flannel shrunk and pulled way from the thread...almost a hole in a few places, not quite, but it will not last as long. After that I learned to prewash.

Banned
    I always wash my large cuts of fabric (FQ's and larger) but would never wash jelly roll's, charms, etc. I agree with the others that your best bet is to make your quilt with your jelly roll then throw a color catcher or two into the washer when the quilt is finished. :D

If you're worried about color bleeding or shrinkage, why not hit w/ a couple of blasts from a steam iron with a white cloth on your ironing board? I am not a pre-washer, but I do this for all fabrics -- If they don't pass the test, into the washer they go until the color no longer runs.