Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2 quilts for ONE king sized bed ??? >

2 quilts for ONE king sized bed ???

2 quilts for ONE king sized bed ???

Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 AM

In Denmark it used to be that instead of one large duvet, there would be two on a bed, one for each person.

Makes a lot of sense. Each can have one based on warmth needs. Also much easier o lander smaller duvets.

OP, do you want the quilt to be used as bedding or as a décor item?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
Why not use 2 different types of batting in your quilt. One light and one heavy.
this was my first thought, too. my MIL and FIL liked different temps, they just put a blanket under the quilt on one side.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:40 PM

In our guest room, we have two extra-long twin beds. When put together, they are the same size as a king mattress. I made two matching (scrappy) XL twin bedspreads. When the beds are separated, they look great. When the beds are pushed together, I simply overlap the quilts in the middle. Until you get up close, you don't even notice that it's not one quilt. Bet this would work with two quilts with different batting weights, too!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:29 PM

Did you see the post about someone wanting to use something in the center to divide a king size spread so they could wash it? Velcro may be your solution also.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
In Denmark it used to be that instead of one large duvet, there would be two on a bed, one for each person.

Makes a lot of sense. Each can have one based on warmth needs. Also much easier o lander smaller duvets.

this reminded me that we were in Europe this summer and the hotels had two duvets on the bed. One for each side. We didn't like it because we felt like we weren't sleeping together. I'm not talking about anything X-rated. I have a plain store bought neutral quilt on the bed. Then I put one of mine over it. I rotate them out. Some go on point and some don't. I also have a little lap size fleecy thing I use if I get cold.
Old 10-15-2015, 05:28 PM

Adding a afghan under the sheet works for me. It doesn't show and is narrow enough to cover me but not dh. It's small enough to throw in with a load of other laundry.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM

I really liked the 2 duvets that we had in Germany and Poland this summer. It makes laundering them much easier.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post

I've seen this on HGTV House Hunters International and it looks nice and easier to make up.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:06 AM

When we were in Russia about 10 years ago, they had only twin beds. I knew enough Russian to ask if they didn't have a room with one big bed. The answer was Nyet.

I have an afghan made with worsted weight wool in afghan stitch. Very heavy. I keep that on the shelf near the bed, and if I can't get to sleep, I put that over the quilt on the bed on my side. Works well to get me to sleep.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 AM

DH & I have a king bed - we have twin size quilts on it and always have. This started because in the winter we still use the quilts my grandmother made for me as a child and teenager, so they're twin size. (And they are the WARMEST quilts in the world, made of wool and grandmotherly love!)

We got used to the two-quilt setup in the winter and it is really comfortable for us, so we do that year-round now. We're still under the same single sheet, but on top we have our own sets of quilts. Extra quilts are under the bed on each side so if it's an extra chilly night we can just drag another quilt out.

For making the bed, I have a thin cotton quilt that is oversized even for our king size bed - it's like a bed slipcover almost. (My first quilt, turned out way too big, lol) Neither of us care if the bed looks neat during the day so most of the time we just sling that quilt over the bed to keep cat fur out of it and call it good enough, but it CAN be made up neatly when we feel like it.