Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2011 What sewing/quilting projects do you have planned for 2011? Also now is the time to start making your Christmas Gifts for 2011! >

2011 What sewing/quilting projects do you have planned for 2011? Also now is the time to start making your Christmas Gifts for 2011!

2011 What sewing/quilting projects do you have planned for 2011? Also now is the time to start making your Christmas Gifts for 2011!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:53 AM

I plan on making two quilts for my grandson's. I gave one to their sister this year, for Christmas and then asked them if they wanted one. I haven't been around either of them in years so it was nice to get to know them as persons. Anyway I was surprised to find out that one is color blind. So I am going to have to go back to him and ask him what colors are what for him. Probably have his sister to help me write it down and send to me. His favorite color is blue which if we look at it is Purple. The other fella who is actually a step grandson(but I do not distinguish) likes greens. They both want a simple pattern. Any ideas??? Jan
Old 01-01-2011, 12:06 PM

Great ideas... Okay, here's my 'Top 10' list:

1. Finish up two UFOs, PPs (pulled projects), and DHPs (Dear husband projects like new canvas boat covers and Roccaro seat covers)... a month. Since 4 of them are queen sized quilts... well... nuff said.
2. Learn how to applique.
3. Sew up the four Thimbleberries quilt kits I purchased in a fit of Ebay frenzy last year.
4. Do some applique Christmas presents, doggie blankets, poodle skirts and wall hangings to practice before I....
5. Start on my Ladies of the Sea Applique Quilt (like in December...) Can I say, hum...it's just a little intimidating for a newbie's first Applique quilt?
6. Make some dressy doll cloths out of the closets full of pretty fabric pieces gleaned from Joann's 75% off remnant sales.
7. Crack a Kwiksew pattern and learn how to sew on knits. Oh, first I have to learn how to read a pattern...
8. Suppliment my wardrobe with "couture" sewing.
9. Use my fancy 8 thread serger for lots of (???) things in order to justify the cost of buying the thing to myself...
10. And lastly..... Collapse from exhaustion!

Ladies of the Sea Sue Garmin Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]151275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-151270.jpe  
Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by quilt queen
Irishrose: your idea of making a block for every inch or lb you loose is great.Of course, if I do that, my quilt will be big enough to cover my Ford Expedition and it is the extra long one. I think I will use 5lb blocks. I am going to make a place on sewing room wall to look at blocks ...for support.Thanks for giving me this idea and good luck to you on making your blocks, by the way, how many do you have made already?
OMGosh..quilt queen... so funny! I think if I could loose the 50 or so lbs that I should this year... I'll allow myself to buy a new (to me) Babylock Ellisimo! That would about 'cover' as much as a down payment on your Expedition!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Just added a major project. The Professional Tote by The Creative Thimble is perfect for my SIL who is a VP with a large publishing and flys all the time. I have the fabric and now with the pattern and all the "stuff" I can go ahead. In between I have eight quilted reversible aprons to finish, some pot holders for my brother, some Arizona Cardinal ears for my sister's rabbit, a CU quilt for my son and a king size quilt for our bed. Other than that I have nothing planned to speak of.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Great ideas... Okay, here's my 'Top 10' list:

1. Finish up two UFOs, PPs (pulled projects), and DHPs (Dear husband projects like new canvas boat covers and Roccaro seat covers)... a month. Since 4 of them are queen sized quilts... well... nuff said.
2. Learn how to applique.
3. Sew up the four Thimbleberries quilt kits I purchased in a fit of Ebay frenzy last year.
4. Do some applique Christmas presents, doggie blankets, poodle skirts and wall hangings to practice before I....
5. Start on my Ladies of the Sea Applique Quilt (like in December...) Can I say, hum...it's just a little intimidating for a newbie's first Applique quilt?
6. Make some dressy doll cloths out of the closets full of pretty fabric pieces gleaned from Joann's 75% off remnant sales.
7. Crack a Kwiksew pattern and learn how to sew on knits. Oh, first I have to learn how to read a pattern...
8. Suppliment my wardrobe with "couture" sewing.
9. Use my fancy 8 thread serger for lots of (???) things in order to justify the cost of buying the thing to myself...
10. And lastly..... Collapse from exhaustion!
That is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen! May I ask where you got the pattern?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM

1. Finish quilting and binding the quilt for my bed
2. Make bed sized quilts for each of my sons (now that they are each around 6' tall, they need bigger quilts)
That's it for next Christmas. Other projects as they come up.

3. Find someplace that I can go for a quilt retreat either by myself or with my SIL if she wants to go. If anyone knows of a good place that is having a retreat in the summer, pm me please.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:14 PM

I found the source of the pattern for Ladies of the Sea, pricey but that has to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. I can work on it slowly and hopefully come just a little close to kwendt's work. Well a girl can dream can't she?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:40 PM

I am so planning on making Christmas gifts for 2011 starting in January.
1. Christmas aprons for my friends and one for myself!
2. Purses, I have 4 new patterns. Want to make them for my dr's office staff, they are just so good to me!
3. Tablerunners, both Christmas and none
4. Crockpot crozies
5. Embrodiery towels
6. Little crayon tote bags
7. Little Christmas tote bags.
8. Lap quilts for my sisters in laws.
9. Lap quilts for the nursing home.
10. Oh, and pot holders and mitts.
11. Pillowcases
12. More blankets for the local nursery school
13. Baby clothes, that is so fun!

Gee I think I lost my cotton picking mind, where am I going to find time to do any of these, but I can do what I can do.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM

I'm making a puppy theme quilt with minkee backing for a little girl across the street. She has autism and I thought the soft feel of the minkee would be calming to her.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shari1967
My top goals this year in quilting:

1) start my Civil War Quilt (hopefully I'll have a finished top by 12/2011)
2) fix and finish butterfly quilt (UFO Cheese & Crackers pattern)
3) finish up small projects started: table runner, bag, small mission church wall quilt
4) figure out and finish the potholders I started as xmas gifts in 2010 now for xmas gifts in 2011 ;)
5) learn to paper piece quilt
Shari..is that Cheese & Crackers one the one we started in Hawaii?
I told you...pick a day and we can do paper piecing. If I can do it, ANYONE can!