Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts! >

2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts!

2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:15 AM

I had a particularly hard year after having surgery on a heart valve last Feb. As I was thinking about what to give my older daughter for Christmas, I saw an article in American Quilter on continuous prairie points. There was also a pattern for a wall hanging using the technic on a version of wisteria. I decided to learn how to do this technic (the neatest thing since sliced bread) and made my own version of the wall hanging. When I gave her her gift at Christmas, I had to laugh because I had made it completely from my stash and had done no shopping for it. It has encouraged me to search my stash for new materials for new projects this year. By the way, she loved it. It was in the Nov issue of American Quilter 2011.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:25 AM

I admire you and say "You go girl"!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=IAmCatOwned;4815243]I think you are just being reactionary. It will pass. I AGREE with you in part. We stopped exchanging gifts when my youngest sibling was 18 and out of high school. Only children in the extended family receive any kind of gift. We do more for each other during the rest of the year (I don't work well to deadlines). However, homemade food or sewn gifts are welcome by everybody except one.

I think it's a fine thing to teach your granddaughter sewing skills. But, lets remember she still deserves to get some new things, even packaged in plastic!

I agree with your comment on the granddaughter. She might LOVE to learn to sew with you, but to a child, that is not a gift - that is what a grandmother is supposed to do. No matter how much we dig in our heels and scream, the world is NOT going back to life before iPhone and Xbox. And taking away "store bought" things a child likes will not make her love you more!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM

From one SW Ontario quilter to another....I agree with YOU!!!!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:27 AM

I'd like to be able to afford the time and money for even one retreat!

Gift giving can be stressful. I like the kids only idea but sometimes we just want to give our adult children something special. Hard a fast rules can be to binding I just go with the situation.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:34 AM

I agree. we are conditioned to spend money on gifts and glitzy things but no more for me either! I already have a list of handmade gifts for family and friends. I hope to retire in the next year or two and will not be able to afford a lot of store bought gifts. I hope to pass on the art of sewing and quilting to my granddaughter also if she wants to learn. My grandson has learned to knit.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 AM

Default The year of handmade gifts

Our family has grown to 26 members. Six children and their spouses and now 15 grandchildren. We have drawn names for several years. This year we did it a bit differently. Rather than adults having adults and children having children, we threw all 26 names in the hat together.

The rules were that you had to give something handmade or something that you have and really can't get by without.

My daughter in law gave me four books that she had read this past year and knew that I would enjoy. I made a
quilt for my 18 year old grandaughter. GIRLS WITH ATTITUDE fabric from Mary Englebreit's collection. Some of the other
hand made gifts were homemade fishing flies, pin cushions, table runners, my husband started a family history for the others. Tee shirts embellished by the younger children......a real hit for the older cousins and so on. We drew the names right after Christmas, so there was a year to work on them. We had a blast!!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM

I think a lot of this gift giving is about balance. I made about 50% of our gifts this year, the rest was useful items and of course some of the latest toys/games for the gkids. Things have gotten way out of line with all the advertising and marketing. So I am thinking "balance" is the key.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 AM

Default Use up what you have!

As a child of the Great Depression and one of 7 I think you are being wise to use what you have and make gifts that can not be bought in a store and will be precious because they were created by someone that loves them. My children are so proud of their quilts and make strong hints about what they like and whose turn it is!
Old 12-29-2011, 12:08 PM

That is my goal for next christmas. I have ideas for most of the family except my 33yr old son I have a year to figure that on out, thank goodness.