Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2024 Quilting Goals >

2024 Quilting Goals

2024 Quilting Goals

Old 12-19-2023, 10:56 AM

I already have the fabrics ready to go for three projects:

1. Queen size Tiny Tiles quilt without batting, just a flannel sheet as the backing. White background with bright scraps for the tiles
2. Strippy QAYG for the sofa. Just four gorgeous fabrics, 2 meters each, each cut into long thirds. Hand quilt the six panels separately using big stitch quilting, then join them
3. Two removable lampshade slipcovers for the living room

This past year I finished doing 'Konmari' on my stash. It was a very difficult process. But I did it! I'm proud of myself, and now each time I look through my fabrics I feel happy because I only kept fabrics I truly LOVE and that literally make me smile.

The two huge things I learned from doing Konmari? First, I like minimalism. Both the 'look' in terms of aesthetics for my home, and quantity. When I had a huge stash of stuff for 'someday' it gave me decision paralysis and nothing ever got made.

Second, as much I love quilts and admire all kinds of different styles, I don't much like the process of making a quilt. I adore beautiful fabrics!! And I enjoy dabbling in hand quilting, applique, and embroidery. But I immensely dislike doing intricate piecing and machine quilting. So I'm sticking with projects that require minimal piecing and can easily be done as QAYG.

It's okay to stick with what you love. I love simplicity in my life. I'll get my fix for complex quilts from going to quilt shows and admiring pictures on the internet.
Old 12-19-2023, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

This year my goal is finish up that bin of waiting to be finished quits and projects. I know I can do it if I just stay focused.
Old 12-19-2023, 05:34 PM

These are all great goals and wonderful ideas! I will be thrilled if 2024 is the year I finish quilting a full-sized quilt. However, I will be happy just having some sewing time no matter what I start, add to, or plan for. I will stay on the fabric moratorium wagon. Hopefully, I won't acquire any more sewing machines....
Old 12-19-2023, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

My goal is to make lots of scrap quilts. I love scrap quilts and have tons of scraps, but somehow I forget to use them.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:41 AM

I plan on quilting less and less in 2024. My husband and I are getting older and having hip and back problems. Need to change my little sewing room on the main level back into a small bedrooom so we don't have to climb the 17 steps to go upstairs to bed. Our 3 season sun porch has a large heavy duty glass table that I can set up as my sewing table when I need it. Will be lselling my quilting frame to someone local hopefully and then I can move on from there. Planning on selling off the majority of fabric also. I'll still be sewing and a limited amount of quilting, but nothing that requires as much "stuff" as what I have now.
Old 12-20-2023, 03:32 AM

2024, Ready or not, here it comes!

At the top of my list is to go through fabric that I was gifted from a friend when she moved into a retirement home. The fabric is in totes and fills my closet. I will keep only the fabrics that I like and gift the rest to guild members making charity quilts.

I will make a baby quilt for a granddaughter due in Feb. It involves using templates to trace for a rainbow. I seem to avoid starting it because it is something new for me and so I've procrastinated.

Start piecing a Christmas quilt I've cut out and have ready by Christmas 2024! I have a little over a year so I'm hopeful!

Learn more about my embroidery machine and how it can be used to make quilting designs. I do make labels but that's it.

Wishing one and all Happiness and Joy in your quilting adventures in 2024!
Old 12-20-2023, 03:34 AM

I love the phrase "community outreach quilts" so much more than "charity quilts".
Old 12-20-2023, 04:00 AM

My goals are to continue to have fun making queen size quilts. I like working from start to finish on them. The one I'm working on now will probably be finished in early 2024. Then on to the next - which is also in the planning stage at the moment, a Grandmother's Fan quilt - all pieced blocks and no applique.

My secondary goal is to make seasonal stove front quilts 36 x 36 to hang from the oven door. My oven glass spontaneously exploded without warning - the oven was not in use and noting hit or bumped the glass - the entire front glass covering the oven door just exploded out into the kitchen - found glass over the area from just in front of the oven across to 10 feet away. I want the entire 'new' glass to have something hanging in front of it, so if it happens again I don't have to worry about flying glass all over the room (still finding pieces of it months later). Mfg. said that the glass that exploded probably had a slight defect in it during mfg. and probably just let go. Very scary and loud. Stove/oven was just over one year old. Thankfully no one was injured, including the cats. I have some fabric panels that I plan on using that will make nice pieces for making these small quilts. Bonus, I can also use them as wall hangings!
Old 12-20-2023, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I got a great tip from Sewbizgirl- practice FMQ ten minutes a day. It works! I'm getting better and better ( except for lately bc I had my second knee replacement.) I finished a quilt right before my surgery and am now more confident about my FMQ so my goal for 2024 is to finish a LOT of tops!!! I have way too many in my sewing room.
I acquired a sit down longarm, no bells or whistles, but my goal for 2024 is to become more proficient in using it. Ten minutes a day sounds doable. Was there a plan or design you used. Or did you just wing it and do whatever you felt like that day?
Old 12-20-2023, 05:25 AM

One day at a time is the best I can do! Mom's palliative care takes a lot of my time. I have more ideas than time!
  • I made a kit of the Fairy Frost fabric for a large "Pink Seashell" pixel quilt. Then realized that I did not choose a background, so must order from same fabric line.
  • Planned colors and ordered batiks for my "Nautilus Shell" pixel pattern, also neglected to select a background! I want an "all batik" quilt!
  • After this Seahorse Pixel quilt, I'll need a break from sewing tiny squares into rows. I have my Temperature Quilt ready to trim and join rows, now that more fabric arrived for finishing.
  • I am not impressed by my Color Wash quilt. Not enough scraps to make it larger, so the flimsy is baby quilt size. Not sure what, but I want to make it into something.
  • It occurs to me by writing this that I need to improve my ordering/planning skills in 2024.