Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3" finished triangle

I ordered the Go! Cutter today and I looked at a quilt I have planned that is all HSTs. The pattern calls for 3 7/8" squares, sewn 1/4" from bolth sides of the marked center line, and cut apart.

Would that equate to a 3" finished triangle? If so, I'll order the die for that size.

http://www.shoppersrule.com/mm5/merc...w=&range_high=

Power Poster
    It should equate to a 3 1/2 inch unfinished square, 3 inch finished square.

Might want to make one or two as a test to check your personal results and go from there.

Found this on a search.

"To determine what size to draw the square, add 1 to the finished size of the triangle (if your triangle finished size needs to be 2, draw a 3 square). This square size allows for the seam allowance.

I prefer to add 1" to the finished size of the half square triangle even though many quilters will tell you to add 7/8". For me, the even 1" is just easier to cut. "

That sounds right to me. If the pattern calls for a 3 7/8" square and the Go! Cutter does a 3" finished triangle...

Guess I'll just have to do a test. Does it really matter a whole lot if ALL of the HSTs are the same size? There are some 9 1/2" square solid pieces in the pattern but I can figure out if it needs to be a bit larger or smaller. There is no other shape but the HSTs in the whole pattern except for these larger background pieces.

Blog Entries
    Yes, order the 3 inch finished size and you will be right on :D

if you have any doubts whatsoever, call the toll-free number at the bottom of the screen. have them describe to you how they interpret their sizing.

why take any chances?

Being the dumb guy on the board, I get to ask really dumb questions (and yes, there are dumb questions).

Why? Do you like to sew on the bias? I find that a PITB. When I make my HSTs, i always make them in pairs, make them a hair too big, and then trim that 1/4 inch or so off with a appropriately sized square ruler with diagonal marking. All my HSTs are then exactly the same size and fit together nicely without me having to worry about stretching the fabric by sewing on the bias.

Enlighten me please.

tim in san jose

Let me get this straight...

Y'all payed 280 bucks for this thing?

This man is even more confused. 280 dollars buys a nice used Bernina 830, or half a quilting frame or 30 to 60 yards of fabric or...

tim in san jose

Yeah, I know... I think I'd rather just sew them in pairs. I can still cut up to 10 layers of fabric (so it says) into squares and if I lay the fabric on the cutter in the way that they need to be sewn, right sides together, then that is still a big time saver.

I could spend days cutting out the squares for this...

Attached Images Attached Images

That is really pretty! Love that line of fabric.

I love it too, looks even better in person. The fabric is sitting in one of my cubby holes calling to me. I'm ignoring it until I finish the one I'm working on. Hopefully I'll be done with the basket quilt top this weekend so I might get this fabric washed so it's ready.

Tim--I equate dollars spent on gadgets to the amount of fabric I can buy and fabric wins every time. I have the 60mm cutter, mat and some rulers and I have done all my quilting with that for 17 years. I'm not about to change now. I went from the 45mm cutter to the 60mm cutter because I found it gave me better leverage. The 45 is my paper, junk cutter and the other is for fabric only. This way I don't have to change blades for the different functions.

Ya, I like just going back and slowly making my quilts. It's not better nor worse, but it's how I like to do it. I also use the 60mm because I got big hands and it feels better than the 'small' 45mm.

It's just 280 bucks to cut triangles and squares...

Throws me for a loop.

BTW Nice quilt Pam.

tim

To each his/her own. :wink: My least favorite part is cutting so anything I can do to get past that to actually putting it together is fine with me.

I use a 60mm too. Mainly because I got the tool and 10 blades on eBay for $28. I have a 45mm too but I like the big one.

Power Poster
    I really enjoy cutting the fabric.

ESPECIALLY when I have the sense to change my dull blade to a nice, sharp new blade in the rotary cutter.

280 bucks??? i saw 29 bucks on their page, where am i lost??? lol
    Funny, when i look at a pattern, i look for the best and easiest way to do it. I don't see any triangles, except for your huge set=in triangles, what i see is the opportunity for strip piecing, and then you just cut your strips on an angle.

$29 would be an individual die. The Go! Cutter cost $280.

The picture of the quilt pattern is misleading. There aren't any diamonds in the pattern, it's all HSTs and there are no set-in, or Y seams, at all. Of course, the actual pattern is neater than this, I just drew the lines to show the squares.

I really don't like doing diamonds. It just never seems to work out right for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh i see what you mean in the close up, wow, that will be a lot of cutting. Well what is the go cutter? Is it just a template or something more than that? This will be awesome when you have it all done

It's a device that cuts fabric into whatever die shape you have in it. Supposedly it can cut up to 10 layers of fabric at once.

http://accuquilt.com/

Tim where did you find it for $280? The cheapest I could find was $349.99.
    Barb he is talking about the machine not the dies.

I got it for $280 at Shoppers Rule. Learned it from someone else on the board that $280 was the low price that they will accept. I've never shopped there so I looked around and finally did offer the $280 and it was accepted. I checked out with Paypal and I didn't have to enter any info or create a login there.

I wnt to a basic quilters class early on, and the teacher's first question was "What is 7/8? What does it mean to you?" We mulled it around a while and she finally told us that 7/8 is what you add to a square to get the half square triangle you want! Add 1-1/4 for a quarter square triangle. It was so simple and stuck in my mind every since. Love your picture.

Pam, I believe starting with a 3 7/8" is right. When I have made 2" triangle to go on 4" flying geese I use a 2 7/8" square and cut in half.

Banned
    wow pam

you've been on a shopping spree!!

you got a new sewing machine a few weeks ago and now the fancy cutter.

its great to be you this month!

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I really enjoy cutting the fabric.

ESPECIALLY when I have the sense to change my dull blade to a nice, sharp new blade in the rotary cutter.
    I am so grinning when I ask you this, so just yanking your chain...
    are you craceee??? you like cutting fabric, LOL...you have an official spot here at the funny farm, anytime you want it, if you like to do all the cutting. It is my least favorite part. You must be really good at it.
    I guess, part of mine, is visual probs, make me slow to place templates or rulers, gotta line, and reline them up, sometimes...then, I can only stand or bend over, for so long,...lights make me hot...but gotta have them.....yada, yada, yada...please tell me, what you like about it. Maybe I could change my perspective. :D

Interesting, this is being done with HSTs. I did a Lone Star quilt, which has similar diamonds in it. I used a method, I saw on Fons & Porters Love of Quilting. It involved sewing strip sets together. Cutting the strip sets on 60 degrees to make strips of diamonds. Then sewing the diamond strips together to form 1/8 of the star. Sewing the diamond strips together was the hardest. The show went into how to pin the diamond strips together to get the points aligned. I found it to be pretty easy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast