Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
3 stitches later >

3 stitches later

3 stitches later

Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

I am a member...7 stitches and a whole day wasted sitting in ER!
Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM

I just cut my finger last night on my rotary cutter and I wasn't even using it! I had forgot to put the safety cover over the blade when I finished using it last, went to reach for something next to it and nicked the side of my finger. Bled like crazy and then reopened this morning in the shower. Boy those blade cuts can hurt worse than a paper cut!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 AM

Hope it heals quickly and I know how it hurts!
Old 08-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Knock on wood, I have yet to do that. My sister was once showing her husband how to do several layers and went over her thumb. I cringe just thinking about it.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CookyIN View Post
Unfortunately, I like to wear sandals around the house so still have to be careful not to drop the darn thing on my toes! So sorry this happened to you.
You and a few others on this thread need to get a rotary cutter on which the blade guard closes automatically when it is not held open. I never used to lock that thing closed when it is in my going-to-club tote, but I have been lately. Better to learn to do that before something happens. The handle could get accidentally squeezed by other things in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
Maniac, if it's bad and won't stop bleeding, call a cab. The firemen won't be able to stitch it up. You'll need the ER for that. Have the cabby take you while you hold pressure. Remember ladies and gentlemen to never take away bandages while trying to stop the bleeding, but to keep adding layers if the blood seeps through the bandage.
Good information Mike'sgirl. See you don't live to far from me, maybe an hour.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Been there, done that! I forget how many stitches - did it when my son was around 2 or 3. Thankfully, our friend lived next door and was able to take my son and I to the ER. DH was working. That was about 25 years ago using the old rotary cutter. Now I only use the retractable kind.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:15 PM

My 45mm blade is the kind that auto-retracts when you let go, and ironically that's the only rotary I've cut myself on. Exactly the way maviskw described...something else in the bag pushed the handle in and I ran my finger right along the blade! Fortunately it was a shallow, glancing cut that barely even bled. More of a warning than anything else!! My 60mm is the quick-change kind that I have to remember to close but fortunately I'm very much in the habit of closing that blade after every single cut. So far....so good! (knock on wood)

Now when I bring my 45mm anywhere, I put it in a tupperware all by itself, so no more skin shaving for me!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:19 PM

I use the Klutz glove. I haven't cut myself yet, and I hope never to do so. I really try to put the glove on for every cut, even when it's only a single fast cut. You can be sure that's when it will happen. I also try to close my cutter when not in use. That's hard to remember, and many times I will reach for it and it will be open. I've got to get better at that.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:21 PM

We must have a nurse in our midst today, saw some advice that I was not aware of (wrapping and keeping pressure on the wound on the way to the ER)--and just keep adding layers, not unwrapping and putting on clean dressing--thanks.....