Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4-H Quilt - First Blocks >

4-H Quilt - First Blocks

4-H Quilt - First Blocks

Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 AM

Default 4-H Quilt - First Blocks

These are called either four in four or double four patch. What do you think - besides I need to add another/more fabric.
My first post was about fabric choices.
I think I need to get out my seam ripper and redo the second set of four blocks - one fabric choice is overpowering the other. You can see the problem in the third picture.
Attached Thumbnails img_0481.jpg   img_0482.jpg   img_0483.jpg  
Old 02-01-2014, 08:42 AM

great start! I like your pattern and it's perfect for a 4H quilt. I like the lime green quilt blocks .... the one set that I might change if it were my quilt is the white fabric but I'm not sure what I would change it to ... ... maybe a darker color??? When it's all done, the white might be just the right color. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.

just a quick question .... what size are your blocks? I really like the block pattern.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:24 AM

I have a question, and please keep in mind that I am new to this quilting world, but... Yes, that lime green is a bit jarring when looking at four blocks together. However, depending on how you lay out the entire quilt, might they not add a pop to it? On this board I've seen some quilts with a few BRIGHT fabrics and if not overused, they add so much interest. I've come to realize there are some quilts that are better for that pop. Sometimes quilts can be very monotinous. 4-H is for the young and young at heart so the lime could give some zest to your quilt. Just use a little less of it and place it thoughtfully.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Do you have enough of the white to replace the lime? I think having "reverse" blocks might give you a good look.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
great start! I like your pattern and it's perfect for a 4H quilt. I like the lime green quilt blocks .... the one set that I might change if it were my quilt is the white fabric but I'm not sure what I would change it to ... ... maybe a darker color??? When it's all done, the white might be just the right color. I look forward to seeing your finished quilt.

just a quick question .... what size are your blocks? I really like the block pattern.
Blocks are 8 1/2" I started with sewing together 2 - 2 1/2" WOF strips then cutting them into 2 1/2" set. Sewed those together in to 4 patches, sewed each 4P to 4 1/2" block and sewed resulting sets together into final block.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:06 AM

I think I will add a bit of purple and a more mottled dark green and more white. Maybe a tiny bit of black. Just still playing around. Thinking to make lap size quilt and then see.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

SuzzyQ ... comments from the Ontario Peanut Gallery .... first of all where did you get the black and green fabric? (hoping I might score some too!)

Going back to the earlier comments and now that I see it worked up, I think that blue/green plain works It works well with the white and the green/white print, but IMHO not with the black print or the lime. I really like the black and the lime together ... a perfect fit.

Not knowing how much of each fabric you have ... perhaps you could solve that by doing smaller finished items?? It has been my experience at auctions, that all too often a larger item people do not pay the "value", yet smaller items often go over valued, as people are willing to pay for the novelty of it, and to support the cause.

And ................ the Ontario 4-H crowd can really get into overdrive on that, especially if someone decides to goad a colleague on!!

Smaller is Better!
Old 02-01-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
SuzzyQ ... comments from the Ontario Peanut Gallery .... first of all where did you get the black and green fabric? (hoping I might score some too!)

Going back to the earlier comments and now that I see it worked up, I think that blue/green plain works It works well with the white and the green/white print, but IMHO not with the black print or the lime. I really like the black and the lime together ... a perfect fit.

Not knowing how much of each fabric you have ... perhaps you could solve that by doing smaller finished items?? It has been my experience at auctions, that all too often a larger item people do not pay the "value", yet smaller items often go over valued, as people are willing to pay for the novelty of it, and to support the cause.

And ................ the Ontario 4-H crowd can really get into overdrive on that, especially if someone decides to goad a colleague on!!

Smaller is Better!
You sound like you have been to CAM!

I'd originally planned to do a queen size quilt but I have so many ideas for blocks that I'm going to make smaller lap size ones. I have about 1 yard of the patterned fabrics and 1/2 yard of the lime green - but lots more of the white and the green.

I got the patterned fabric from CAM. It was from Joann's - that's what is on the selvage. Niagara area donated it to the silent auction.

Last edited by SuzzyQ; 02-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Oh dear .. you just lost me on the CAM acronym!
(unless you mean Canadian 4-H AGM?)
........... or even go for table toppers and wall hangings. Or some sort of a tote/purse?

Looks like my only hope for the black/green would be if by chance Len's has it, as sometimes I have seen Joann's fabrics there. Of course, a total long shot!!
Old 02-01-2014, 04:12 PM

CAM - conference & Annual Meeting (4-H Ontario)