Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question >

45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question

45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question

Old 10-16-2010, 07:09 AM

one of the best investments i've made was the JTshape cut ! but i really should have read the inst.first ![dah!]i starte off w/ the 60blade,THEN read the inst.,only use the 45.what a diff !!again ,i think it's the best money i've spent! no more wonkey cuts!i think theyare approx.$25,but used my JA's coupon,would do so again in a heartbeat.
try it ,you'll lOVE it
dar
Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 AM

i finally received my blades from harbor freight[they were on back-orde for several mos]well worth waiting for ! i orddered 10 pkgs of 2,& plan on ordering 10 more !that should hold me for a while!problem is,i'm STILL too tight to change them as often as i should! pretty bad.......
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
Ok, still being a newbie in the quilting world, I honestly do not know the answer. Is there an advantage to using a 60mm rotary cutter over using a 45mm? Does the 60mm cut through more layers of fabric more easily than the 45mm? I ask, because I am always trying to figure out better and less time consuming ways to cut. Thank you in advance. :)
The 60 mm will cut through more layers, but bly the time you get THAT many layers to make a substantial time difference, you will undoubtedly be sacficing accuracy by stacking many many many layers. I use the 60mm for thick stuff like batting, fleece or flannels.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the tutorial on cutting fabrics straight. Have been quilting since 2000 and this is the first time I heard of this method. Never stop learning...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
You just have to make sure the fold on top and the fold underneath are together and straight. You also have to make sure your ruler is straight also. I'll look and see if I can find a tutorial on avoiding the dips.

This article shows how to make sure your folds are lined up correctly: http://www.how-to-quilt.com/articles...straight.shtml
That is the exact method I have been using for the past year. At first I was a little frustrated at how much fabric I had to initially cut off to straighten. But I found that I'd much rather lose that fabric to the scrap bin, then have dips in my strips!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

I agree that folding to your optimum width and then pressing absolutely flat helps with avoiding "dips" and other problems when rotary cutting. Be sure you have a good (read Olfa, in my opinion) mat to cut on. I don't ever try to cut more than four layers. More seems to increase movement between the layers. 45-mm seems easier to control to me. And that's all I have to contribute!

Dana
Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM

You might try Shar Jorgensens tip to start your first cut, after all the straightening, by placing your rotary cutter blade about an inch in from the end of the ruler and cutting back toward yourself for that inch and then cutting forward away from yourself. That way the pressure of the blade doesn't push the fabric into a bump.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:02 PM

I have a 65mm (thought it was a 60 until I went to buy replacement blades.) anyway, the 65mm (and 60mm) blades are so expensive ($10 each), that I went back to a 45mm (I can get a 5 pk of blades for $16).
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by cbridges22
I have both but use my 45 most of the time esp. since I found rotary blades at harbor freight for really cheap.I also don't cut more than 2 layers at a time because I have learned the hard way that one of the most important things you do it cut accurately!Nothing else matters if your cut is not spot on!
Do any of you who have orders for blades from Harbor Freight that are on backorder received them yet? I haven't. I just emailed them to ask about it though.
I had ordered mine, back when I first heard of them being cheap. End of August. I recieved mine 2 weeks ago. I had set up an account online, so I could trace my order
Old 10-16-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by kclausing
I have a 65mm (thought it was a 60 until I went to buy replacement blades.) anyway, the 65mm (and 60mm) blades are so expensive ($10 each), that I went back to a 45mm (I can get a 5 pk of blades for $16).
Have you heard about Harbor Freight? They were selling their blades 2 for $1.69 now they raised them to $1.99 and they are backordered These are 45mm