Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question >

45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question

45mm or 60mm Rotary Cutter Question

Old 10-16-2010, 03:49 PM

how do i ensure the folds are straight". i spend the extra time to sooth, sooth, and resooth the layers and folds out. what is the trick?

hold up the selvedge edges of your fabric, keep them separated with your fingers, move the selveges back and forth until you don't see any wrinkles. The selveges might no be perfectly lined up, but if the fabric isn't wrinkled as it curves around the fold, you have it right. Gently place it down on the board and trim up the cutting edge Take a 12 " ruler and place it on the fold. Line up one line. Butt your big ruler on the edge of the short ruler, take it away and then trim the febric using the big ruler as your guide.
I hope that makes sense
Old 10-16-2010, 05:05 PM

60mm is way too pricey (only 1 replacement blade per pack) for my budget and cannot be justified when I can get the same cutting results with 45mm and stock up on 5-blade packs whenever I can get them at half-price, which is fairly often.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by EagarBeez
Originally Posted by kclausing
I have a 65mm (thought it was a 60 until I went to buy replacement blades.) anyway, the 65mm (and 60mm) blades are so expensive ($10 each), that I went back to a 45mm (I can get a 5 pk of blades for $16).
Have you heard about Harbor Freight? They were selling their blades 2 for $1.69 now they raised them to $1.99 and they are backordered These are 45mm
We have a Harbor Freight in town, but it is a tool store. Is that what you are speaking of????
Old 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Power Poster

I've gotten rotary blades (Olfa) comparatively reasonably on e-bay.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
I was actually hoping that the 60mm might eliminate the little dips in the fold of the fabric when cutting more than 1 layer at a time. I will not use anything that does not have straight sides, therefore I end up with more fabric waste than I want.
I was not getting accurate cuts either.So I am asking for the Accuquilt Go or Go Baby fabric cutter for Christmas :thumbup:
I can get the Accuquilt Go and three dies and mat for 340.00
I have wasted more fabric than that!The Go Baby is cheaper but I haven't decided which one I want. It is compatible with most of the dies for the Accuquilt Go I think only around9 that doesn't work.But they are coming out with more this year for the Go Baby!

The dies are a little expensive but I plan to just buy one at a time! :thumbup:
Old 10-16-2010, 07:34 PM

I usually use my 45mm blade, but that is not your problem with the dip in the folds. You must have your fabric straight or you will have those dips. When you make the fold, be sure to measure it in 3 places to be sure it is straight. then trim the leading edge and go from there. Recheck it after 3 or 4 cuts. Hope this helps you some
Old 10-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by mmonohon
I use the 60mm. It seems to be easier on my hand and wrist.
So do I.....99.5% of the time. I suppose the 45 mm would be fine, I'm just used to the 60 mm, and I'm short if that makes any diference! :wink:
Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Banned

I use the 45mm more often. Just started using the 60mm when I expanded my sewing studio to include downstairs in the den and now cut fabric at two locations!

I also use a smaller one when cutting and trimming smaller pieces.

Matter of preference and economics. I got my 60mm at a good deal, otherwise would not have it.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:36 PM

Use what ever size you are comfortable with. I have very small ones which are only a centimetre in diameter up to the very large ones. It all depends on the size of the template you are trying to cut around, and how many layers of material you want to whack through. I think if you make the pile too thick you are more likely to have distorted shapes. Some rotary cutters are too large to use with some specialty rules and you have to use the smaller one to get around the shape. I have a sewer's pen - knife (like the Swiss army knife - made in the same place, except for sewers) and the rotary cutter on that is very small, very sharp and very handy. My 45mm gets the most use.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pat G
Originally Posted by cbridges22
I have both but use my 45 most of the time esp. since I found rotary blades at harbor freight for really cheap.I also don't cut more than 2 layers at a time because I have learned the hard way that one of the most important things you do it cut accurately!Nothing else matters if your cut is not spot on!
Do any of you who have orders for blades from Harbor Freight that are on backorder received them yet? I haven't. I just emailed them to ask about it though.
I bought some of the back-order ones---they are now $1.80 instead of the $1.49 we first bought !