Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 5-6 Thousand Dollars to SPEND

5-6 Thousand Dollars to SPEND

I have 5-6 thousand dollars to purchase a new quilt machine and frame...........I want to purchase something soon.HELP........what do you recommend......my husband says get what i want......

I have no idea what to tell you except you have a wonderful husband!

I recommend getting the largest throat you can for your money, and stitch regulation, horizontal and vertical channel locks, if possible. I would look at some used machines to get the most bang for your buck. Go to a big quilt show and try test drive them all, as well.

Blog Entries
    Check out the homequiltingsystems group on groups.yahoo.com . This is a large, active group of quilters with a wide variety of quilting setups. You should be able to get some good advice on combinations to research within your price range.

Blog Entries
    I started out with a gammill primer and moved to a classic both were used first one was $5,000 Loved them both.

Thanks for all of your advice...........

I might try to buy something used from the big names...your dollar would go farther. I agree..largest throat and best stitch regulator you can afford. You can check longarm university for used machines as well as the dealers websites for used/demo machines...
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Blog Entries
    Hi Susie,
    I have just bought a second hand APQS Lenni with a 10' table and hydraulics direct from APQS. I love my Lenni and have got on like a house on fire with it. I paid 9,000.00 so I think that will be within you $ range. I had to pay a lot in shipping to the UK but it was worth every penny. I used to have a Nolting Hobby Quilter with a table top frame, nice machine but no stitch regulator and I could not get on with it. When this Lenni came up I jumped for it and have not looked back.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Jenny

Thanks Gings & Xtgirl, I have been looking on line all weekend.I have spoken to a APQS dealer and will demo on this week..

Did you check out the apqs forum...lots of nice people there who are willing to help regardless of what machine you own. Also check out mqresource which is another great forum for longarm info. Best of luck!
    The Potomac Quilter
    Innova 26 with Lightning Stitch and Autopilot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSIENC View Post
    I have 5-6 thousand dollars to purchase a new quilt machine and frame...........I want to purchase something soon.HELP........what do you recommend......my husband says get what i want......
    I can't tell you what to buy but can suggest that you do not buy a Tin Lizzie unless you test it for hours and hours. It is in your price range but it took me 2 years to get the bugs out of my new TL and I got no help from corporate headquarters. It is now a good machine but 2 years is a long time to work on getting it this way. The corporation should have replaced it for me but instead just ignored my many crys for help.

CHECK OUT BAILEYS LONG ARM MACHINES! They are affordable comes in a 17" throat with a stitch regulator and a frame still under 4000.00. They have free shipping month of a June and class demos on sale. they are located in upper New York state I think. I am saving up my pennies for just the head and stitch regulator I already have the frame. Good luck and let us know what you finally went with!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    Check out the homequiltingsystems group on groups.yahoo.com . This is a large, active group of quilters with a wide variety of quilting setups. You should be able to get some good advice on combinations to research within your price range.
    Thanks for this info - I jumped over and signed up too - I just purchased a SUNSHINE 16 and want to get as much info as possible!

I would go for the large name brand frame & machine used. Also, check Craigslist but be sure you can try it out.

Blog Entries
    My thoughts and suggestions go with doing all of the above--but this is from one who fell in love by chance with a Gammill. The ONLY quilting machine for ME. Long story there--if you have never used a LA before, be prepared for a period of learning just as if you were a kid under your grannie's care learning to sew.Mine is a Classic with many bells and whistles, but the main thing is the regulated stitching--you will LOVE that. Congratulations on the unexpected windfall, and best of luck as you look for your machine.....
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Try out the Innova, in fact try out as many as you can, making list of the features you like on them all. I would not get one without a stitch regulator for sure. There are a lot of used machines out there for sale, so good luck.

themachinelady

get the HQ SWEETSIXTEEN LONGARMSEWMACHINE LOOK IT UP AT THESEWMACHINEPLUS OR,LOOKUPTHE BEST HQ LONGARMSEWMACHINE HQ.COM
    #They Call Me QuickStitch!!

The Tin Lizzie is a great machine if you get the basic one, with stitch regulator. Mine is from 2007, just before they came out with computerized machine. More bells and whistles, more problems!

Quote Originally Posted by themachinelady View Post
    Try out the Innova, in fact try out as many as you can, making list of the features you like on them all. I would not get one without a stitch regulator for sure. There are a lot of used machines out there for sale, so good luck.

themachinelady
    I agree and some of the vendors may have used ones for sale. Try looking up innova vendors on the net for one closest to you and see what they have.

Blog Entries
    Please look at the bailey quilting machine they also have a deal; frame, machine and sew control. a great basic machine and money left over for fabric!

My only suggestion is to make sure your room is big enough for a long arm machine and buy the biggest throat plate you can.

Another vote for an Innova.

Regarding Baileys, It is my understanding that what they call a stitch regulator is not really a stitch regulator but a speed controller. A true stitch regulator is a computerized sensor that rides on the rails of your machine and matches the needle stitching speed with your movements. You move slow the needle moves slow, you speed up the needle speeds up. You stop moving the needle stops moving without having to hit an off/on or go/stop button. You can set them to do a specific number of stitches per inch. I may be wrong, Baileys could have upgraded it in the past few years and may have improved on their offering.

sorry no help, but man can I borrow your hubby LOL!!