Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 5 pointed star

5 pointed star

I've posted on this quilt before and everyone has been a huge help. All I had was a photo and the panel when I started.

I think I need to finish the quilt with a row of 5 pointed stars. Initially, I thought a starry fabric would work, but it doesn't. I've not done any applique, though I don't see how it would be difficult, maybe just tedious. I'm not sure paper piecing is for me, though I'll give most anything a try.

What I would like is the method or pattern with the shortest learning curve as I'd really like to finish this quilt. I thought I was almost there, but the fabric I chose just doesn't work. I also like it enough to go to the trouble of the stars.

This is the photo/pattern:
    Name:  cowboy2a.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  137.2 KB
    Attachment 589800

This is where I am:

Name:  cowboy quilt 3.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  744.3 KB

bkay

Here's an easy one to do .........
    http://www.quilterscache.com/F/FiveP...StarBlock.html

It is for an 8" finished star, but if you want it smaller, then just reduce the size of the pieces.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Power Poster
    Your top is coming along nicely and some red stars on the star fabric would look nice. I might do machine applique with a fusible like Wonderunder and "window" (you draw your shape on the paper side of the Wonderunder and then draw a line inside the shape about 3/8 to 1/2 inch and trim away the center of the Wonderunder before fusing it to the back of your fabric) so the center stays soft. A nice buttonhole stitch or similar to finish the fused edge of the stars.

Here is a way to make a 5 pointed star.
    http://www.steve4u.com/usflag/star.htm
    You could do this on the fusible then iron it to the fabric. You would then cut out the star, fuse it to a background & do a buttonhole stitch w/matching thread.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    I like you boarder choice for under the blue stars. It goes nice with your other fabric selections. A fusible applique technique for the blue stars would be easiest. Best wishes on your completion.

Why not quilt stars into your border rather than worrying about applique? Just a thought...

I was in the same boat awhile back with my t shirt quilt. It just needed Stars. I used ms word and printed a star shape then made Mylar Template and cut them out. I think I needed 7. Then I watched a YouTube on satin stitch. Not my best skill. I practiced the inner and out points a few times and then did the deed they came out pretty well.
    Attached Images Attached Images