• Main
  • 505 Basting Spray >
  • 505 Basting Spray

• 505 Basting Spray

Old 02-27-2010, 08:44 AM

Here is a link to sign up for emails:

http://jhittlesewing.com/visitor/index_jhs.html
    Old 02-27-2010, 09:54 AM

505 can be purchased at sewforless.com for $13.50/can. If you buy 4 cans, the freight is only $10. Great stuff!!!
    Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 AM

My favorite product is Sullivan's Basting Spray.
    I buy it on sale at Hancocks Fabrics.

I do like the 505 but found that the nozzle tended to get plugged up. Also.. the Sullivans spray give you twice as much for your money.

I have never had a problem with Sullivans and it does wash out.
    Cindy in Seattle
    Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 AM

What is basting spray? I have not heard of it !. Is Joanne's the only place you can get it. Our Wal-Mart here had done away with all their materials etc. Glenda in Tx
    Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Glenda, I use 505 basting spray (spray adhesive) when I machine embroidery. The stabilizer is sprayed and the fabric layed onto it. The spray keeps these two together when its put in the hoop to embroider.
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:34 PM

At the suggestion of my local sewing shop, I bought "The Original" Quilt Basting Spray made by Sullivan. It is acid free and really holds well. I haven't bought any for some time so don't know if or where it would be available but I remember seeing it around. Maybe even at JoAnn's. It says on the label that it "contains no ozone depleting chemicals." It is a temporary spray so fabric can be easily repositioned if needed. I highly recommend it and it is cheaper than the other sprays. I just Googled it and Amazon has it for $10.70 but it mostly sells for around $14 for a 13 oz can, which is only a dollar or two more than I paid for my last one that I have had for 2-3 years. Not too bad of a markup when considering the economy.
    Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM

I just found the Sullivans spray on Hancock's of Paducah website for $9.98. If you buy two cans, the shipping is $5.95. That makes it $12.96 a can.
    Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Being a newbie to quilting, I am going to ask a really dumb question. Instead of sticky spray, why couldn't you just wonder under the back and front to the batting and it would stick perfect. I was thinking about doing this. Would this be a bad idea? Just wondering. Thanks for any feedback.
    Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM

Has anyone heard 505 spray is toxic?? At a quilt show, one of the vendors said not to use it for a babyquilt. Anyone have any input?
    Old 02-27-2010, 11:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuickStitch
    Being a newbie to quilting, I am going to ask a really dumb question. Instead of sticky spray, why couldn't you just wonder under the back and front to the batting and it would stick perfect. I was thinking about doing this. Would this be a bad idea? Just wondering. Thanks for any feedback.
    Oh, my! Wonder Under stiffens fabric. I don't think the quilt would feel very nice if you did that.

You might be able to get away with using Misty Fuse, but one of the problems with fusibles is that you cannot fix mistakes. Spray basting is like Post-It notes (for an hour or so, anyway) so you can smooth out any wrinkles or bubbles. Plus, it takes only 15 minutes or so to spray baste; it would take a lot longer to fuse.

The basting spray is water soluble, so it comes out completely in the first wash. Fusibles are permanent.

There is a fusible batting that some people like for making purses. I think it works for small wallhangings too. Most people don't like it for larger quilts as it tends to misbehave in various ways.