Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need information about basting spray 505 >

Need information about basting spray 505

Need information about basting spray 505

Old 04-24-2010, 01:21 PM

I read about using this basting spray instead of pinning a quilt together. I am somewhat confused. I will lay out my backing, tape it down, then the battings. Lift the batting half way first on top and then the bottom portion. Do I also spray the batting between the top of the quilt and the batting? In other words, do I spray the top and bottom of the batting or just between the backing and the batting.

Now you can tell how confused I am. I don't even understand my question.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you will spray both sides of the batting, other wise it won't stick together.
You will love this method!!! :D:D:D
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I understand your question (I think!).

First off, lay a large flat sheet down first to catch overspray. You can toss the sheet in the laundry afterwards and the spray will wash right off. It also helps to spray from the edge towards the center, to minimize overspray.

I usually don't tape down the backing fabric. It's enough for it to be flat and smoothed out. Smooth the batting out, then fold the top half of the batting down, spray and smooth back together. Do the same with the bottom half.

At this point, if you haven't taped the backing down, you can remove the batting/backing combo and lay the top down, smooth it out, and then lay the batting/backing combo on top. You can repeat the entire process, lifting the batting/backing combo back the way you folded back just the batting before.

Alternatively, you can just smooth the top over the batting, fold back the top halfway, spray, and smooth the top back.

The short answer to your question is that yes, you do need to spray both the batting and the back together and the batting and the top together.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

I would tape down the backing, lay the batting on top, spray and smooth it out, in two sections like you described.

Then lay your quilt top on the batting, smooth it out, and spray the batting again like you did in the first step and smooth out the quilt top again.

I still do pin around the edges, as they get man handled, and I find it easier to keep them sandwiched this way :D:D:D
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM

great info here, I have yet to use this spray.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM

My quilt top is 80 x 80. I just had to rip out the quilting I did so far as it wound up crooked. I had help pinning it and did not watch what got done. It was pinned uneven. I had half of the quilt stitched in the ditch when I noticed the mess-up. So I decided to rip it out (what a job!) and start over. I am not sure how I'll quilt it now.

I saw a video of someone using 505 spraying the quilt on the wall. It looked easy. Unfortunately I don't have enough wall space and plan to use some tables at the church. If I mess up, does the spray wipe off?

Thanks all for your help.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM

I don't tape the backing down, just spray both sides and smooth. So much easier than pinning and basting.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

I am having the same problem. I pin basted then started machine sewing and it was puckering. I am in the middle of "froggin" now. Rip it, Rip it! :) :)