Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 6" x 24" ruler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter2
    Today I bought a Omnigrid 6" x 24" ruler, been looking at it tonight and I don't like it, I don't like the color on it and I think It's hard to read. What kind do most of you like?
    Whatever one you get, spray the top with clear satin Urethane to stop the glare from overhead lights. Sure helps!

I've got the one with black marking. the 24" is so big and unwieldy. I want a smaller one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    I've got the one with black marking. the 24" is so big and unwieldy. I want a smaller one.
    The longer ruler will come in handy for trimming the edges of your quilt top, any borders you might do beforehand ... so, don't get rid of the longer one .. it does have a use.
    But, like you ... the reason I usually use the six by 12" ruler because it is more manageable.
    Most of the strips I cut are less than six inches wide or six inches at the max ...
    if you fold your fabric selvedge to selvedge and then fold it again, fold to selvedge, most all your strips can be cut using the 6x 12" ruler just fine.
    the 6 x 12 is very versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
    That is exactly why I got the 6x14 sometimes the 6x12 just not big enough and I do use my 12x12.5 square a lot. I love my
    6 x 14, great to fold fabric around too.

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Quote Originally Posted by carrieg
    I use the Creative Grids. The yellow ones make me cross-eyed! I use the 6 1/2 by 24 1/2. I just broke off a corner recently so replaced it with an 8 1/2! That comes in real handy.
    My rulers are Creative Grids, for the most part. When I diverge from them, I curse myself later. Joann's doesn't carry them (at least in my area) but some LQSs do.
    Creative Grids are my personal favorites too! Love the way the anti-slip dots don't come into play until you're ready to cut!
    I also appreciate the thinner black marked lines. I've got many sizes of this brand and am always looking to add some of their specialty rulers too. I have my heart set on their largest square and will eventually convince myself to part with the wad of cash that it costs. My longest is the 6.5 x 24.5....couldn't function without it for projects that need yardage. I tend to use the smallest ruler that will get the job done while providing enough "landing" space for my "holding" hand (left)....so I really didn't need the squares smaller than the 6.5. If I could only have two rulers....heaven forbid....the 12.5 square and the 6.5 x 24.5....Creative Grids brand, of course! Next two would be the 4.5 x 12.5 and the 6.5 square.

I use that size. Mine is clear with black lines - very easy to read. I bought it at my LQS... not sure of the brand

Sometimes I find it is not because of my ruler I am having a hard time seeing. The Olfa green mat especially at night is hard to see fabric contrast with the mat.

Is it more of a neon green?

Quote Originally Posted by PALS65
    Is what neon.

My 6x14 ruler is neon green. My mat is just green. Next one will be a color. I wish I could have gotten the pink one when Olfa was selling them in support of Breast Cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    Quote Originally Posted by PALS65
    Is what neon.

My 6x14 ruler is neon green. My mat is just green. Next one will be a color. I wish I could have gotten the pink one when Olfa was selling them in support of Breast Cancer.
    Ooops sorry about that! I meant the ruler.

I often wished that I had a 6 1/2"x24" ruler. Did not know that they existed. Will keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by ann clare
    I often wished that I had a 6 1/2"x24" ruler. Did not know that they existed. Will keep an eye out.
    The one that I borrowed from DD is from Creative Grid, clear ruler with black markings .... I don't like the coloring, but hey! It worked for what I was trying to do, and I was mighty thankful to have it at my disposal.

Blog Entries
    i love all the rulers i own from the Wrights EZ line.

i have one frosted ruler which i think is fabulous, too.

i am not a fan of omnigrid rulers because the lines are so thick it's hard to cut accurately.

i have just checked overstock.com

the olfa frosted seem to be priced better than the wrights. that surprises me because wrights are always the most reasonably priced at every other site i've ever checked.

shop around. i think you'd like the olfa frosted best, but if the wrights you find fit your budget better, you won't be disappointed.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I recently got a green one and I can't read anything with it. The yellow ones - no problem.

Mine is clear and I love it.

I think I will try to find a Olfa frosted 6x24 ruler. Looked at my LQS today and they didn't have any 6x24 rulers, she told me they don't sell because people like the smaller ones.

I stick with the clear with black numbers. Easier on my eyes.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    My favorite ruler is called an Easy Rule II. I think you can see it at ezquilt.com
    I bought mine at the local Hancock's store. It's 6x24, has large number and is clear. I also like the new shaded Olfa rulers.

My favorite type of ruler is by Creative Grids. They are clear with black markings and have non-slip discs on the back that really work. I find myself using the 6 1/2 x 24 size most often. They make a variety of sizes, and I am replacing all of my other rulers with these. If you can't locate them at a quilt shop, their website is: creativegridsusa.com. I have not tried to contact this website - just copied it off the ruler. I highly recommend these rulers to all quilters!

I have the 6x24 you are talking about. When I first started quilting, it was what I started with, the omingrid. I have trouble using any other. Isn't that funny. I even got a 6 1/2 x 24, because that is what you cut your blocks, never could figure out why the ruler was only 6. But thats like the quarter inch foot, and you sew less. Lots of things makes no sense to me, but that is just me. If they mean a scant quarter, why can't they make a scant quarter, if you need 6 1/2 why not make them all that size. Oh well. I have the 6 1/2 and don't use it because its harder for me to see. We are such funny ducks. I would keep trying it, they are wonderfull. or is that only my opinion.

I have the 6x24 you are talking about. When I first started quilting, it was what I started with, the omingrid. I have trouble using any other. Isn't that funny. I even got a 6 1/2 x 24, because that is what you cut your blocks, never could figure out why the ruler was only 6. But thats like the quarter inch foot, and you sew less. Lots of things makes no sense to me, but that is just me. If they mean a scant quarter, why can't they make a scant quarter, if you need 6 1/2 why not make them all that size. Oh well. I have the 6 1/2 and don't use it because its harder for me to see. We are such funny ducks. I would keep trying it, they are wonderfull. or is that only my opinion.

We use Creative Grids - all clear, black, and white. I think they are the easiest to read, but that's just my opinion.

Darren

I use a O'Lipfa Lip Edge 5X24 model no. 11111. It is clear with black lines. It does have a lip on one end which I use as a stablizer when cutting.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Olfa frosted rulers! I use several different sizes of rulers but these frosted ones are my favorites!

I have a few squares that have yellow on one side and black on the other; I didn't really like the yellow either until I needed to use it on darker fabric.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast