Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: 6" x 24" ruler

Omak, use your old 6x12 ruler as a bottom in a tote bag! I did this and always have a 'ruler' when out shopping! Treat yourself to a new 6x12; you deserve it!

I changed over to Creative grid rulers cause most of the smaller ones has the 1/4 inch and other little marks that i think is great so you don't have to count the little lines they are marked on them. Hope this helps

The yellow rulers seem "busy", and I have a hard time reading them. I just bought a 6" X 24' to replace a very old 6 1/2" by 24" that had a few chunks out of it. I really liked the 6 1/2" width because it makes it easy to cut 6" finished blocks. I am glad someone commented on the frosted ones because I was thinking I might like to try one of them next time I buy a ruler.

I love the frosted ones. I have changed over from orange to frosted for every size they have. Hope they continue to come out with new sizes! The 'frosting' helps with slippage, and doesn't interfere with seeing.

It sounds like a case of personal choice and what you get used to.
    I have both the red and yellow rulers, but go for the red one every time. But that's just the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    I have one of the older 6 x 24 omnigrid & love it, I'm not fond of the yellow ones.
    I didn't know they changed the color, I like mine, but it is an older one.

Blog Entries
    I have the June Taylor, clear with black markings and I like it a lot. I have the 9"square by omni (yellow) and it is fine but I find it harder to read. My 6" square is by June Taylor too and I like it a lot. I was thinking of getting the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler,at walmart I can get it for 17.99 a great price too. Has anyone here used it?

Sharon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bob1414
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Olfa frosted rulers! I use several different sizes of rulers but these frosted ones are my favorites!
    I have not seen the Olfa frosted rulers.. I wonder if anyone has used the little stickon things on the backs of their rulers to keep them from moving around?

My quilting teacher said once you buy a ruler (ie your first one) don't buy any other brand. It takes too much effort to get used to the differences. I buy Omigrid.

You could be a ruleraholic, that has every size and color marking out there. I have a big supply of rulers that I bought when first start quilting and now have a nice collection and still had a new one here and there.

I left my 5 x 24" ruler in Yuma this spring. We winter there. So I went to this new quilt shop in Hamilton, MT and bought a 6 1/2 x 24. It is made in USA by Creative Grids and was designed by Rachel Cross. The web site on it is
    www.creativegridsusa.com. I have just started using it and like it so far. It has a lot of markings on it in white circles.

I actually gave away (to the guild quilt room) all of my 'yellow' OmniGrid rulers. Bought them when I started quilting and never did like them much but as my eyes got 'older' it's even harder to use them. I LOVE my Easy Rule ones - thin black lines and easy to use.

I actually gave away (to the guild quilt room) all of my 'yellow' OmniGrid rulers. Bought them when I started quilting and never did like them much but as my eyes got 'older' it's even harder to use them. I LOVE my Easy Rule ones - thin black lines and easy to use.

I have the Omnigrid 6" x 24" ruler. I love mine, I guess it might be because it was my first ruler and I know how to use it. I like the fact also that it gives you an colored 1/8" on each side of the 1 inch markings. Easy to line up with the dreaded 7/8th" cut is needed. I like using this one the most. I have a 5 1/2" square Creative Grid, but I don't seem to like it as much. Although I like the skid free design feature on it. But by all the 6 X 24" is my favorite :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by eparys
    I have a yellow one and really like it.
    ditto

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have a june tayler I think, it has big black writing so I can see the numbers on it, and one of the ladies sent me a square one. God bless. Penny

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I have the yellow 6" x 24" - and an older one (French brand) with black lettering. To cut strips wider than 6", I measure the extra bit with the old ruler (eg - if I want a 7" strip, I measure in an inch from the edge of the fabric), butt the omni 6" up against it, then cut my strip. Obviously being careful not to move the first ruler. Sometimes I'm really naughty and measure and cut by the mat - but I saw Ricky Timms doing it once on Youtube so can't be THAT naughty! LOL

I also have the omnigrid 6 x 24 but I use it rarely because the grid and the numbers are hard to see. I have 4 different sizes from Jenny Taylor (12 x 12 , 9 x 9, 6 x 6,4 x 4) and I just love them and use them all the time. :)

I love the O'lipfa rulers. They have a lip at the edge that sits at the edge of your cutting mat and is a BIG help in keeping the ruler straight. I just looked, though, at it seems they have a 5" x 24" but not a 6" x 24"

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

PBS
    When I was learning how to quilt several years ago, I was taught to ALWAYS use the same brand name. If not, the markings might be off if you use different brands to cut different sizes. I started with Omnigrid and I use only their products. I've been very pleased with my results. I would recommend you find a brand that you like and are comfortable using and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    Most of mine are creative grids. The yellow on the omni just runs everything all together for me. Don't like them. Love the creative grids rulers
    I love the creative girds too, especially the embedded dots on the back that keep it from slipping. I also have Olfa frosted which used to be my favorite, but I am slowly replacing with Creative grids.

I had such a problem with the yellow lines on the omni rulers. A lady at my quilt store told me that they were very hard for people with an astigmatism in their eyes. I have astigmatism, and just wondering if those of you that don't like them have it too?????????

Quote Originally Posted by oldswimmer
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapcollector
    Most of mine are creative grids. The yellow on the omni just runs everything all together for me. Don't like them. Love the creative grids rulers
    I love the creative girds too, especially the embedded dots on the back that keep it from slipping. I also have Olfa frosted which used to be my favorite, but I am slowly replacing with Creative grids.

I had such a problem with the yellow lines on the omni rulers. A lady at my quilt store told me that they were very hard for people with an astigmatism in their eyes. I have astigmatism, and just wondering if those of you that don't like them have it too?????????
    For some reason, I see the yellow lines better. I have an astigmatism, so this is puzzling. I like my 6 x 24 Omnigrid because I can see the 1/8 markings better. I have 5 x 24 ruler with a "lip" on one end (hm -- forgot the brand) that I love, but I seem to always grab the one with yellow markings. I also have the beginnings of cataracts; perhaps this is why the yellow markings work better for me.

Just bought a nonslip ruler from Nancy's Notions. Opaque. Just love it. Wish I could afford to donate all my yellow rulers and just get these.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3