Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6 1/2" by 24' OE 8 1/2" X 24' ruler????

6 1/2" by 24' OE 8 1/2" X 24' ruler????

I want to replace my 6" x 24" ruler to buy a Creative Grid one of which I have others and like. I am torn between the two sizes. I work mostly with yardage but seldom have had need for making cuts 8 1/2". My block cuts would usually be smaller cuts.

The only thing I can think of is making 8 1/2" strip cuts sometimes. What are your feelings on the benefits or negatives of either one. Does the larger size seem to stay put better without sliding, or the other way around for that matter. I need to decide today in order to take advantage of a 20% discount at Connecting threads.

I have several rulers. I really like the ones without so many markings. I have a 6" x 24" that is pretty much my go-to. I added a handle to the ruler and it makes it manageable in that it doesn't slip so much. I would wonder about a 8 1/2" wide ruler slipping around too much. My handle is one of those gripper type handles made to put in bathrooms but it works wonders. I bought it at Lowes or maybe Home Depot and is a lot cheaper than the same design that is made for quilters.

Nearly all of my rulers are 6 inches by something. I don't feel the need for anything else. I would stay with what makes you comfortable.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

my 8.5 x 24 is one of my most used rulers, and next is my 3.5 x 24. I don't own one in between, so can't say if I'd like it better. I do have a 6.5 x 12 that I use a lot too. I also love Creative Grids, and think they hold pretty well. I've been replacing all my other rulers with them as time goes by.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Power Poster
    I have a 6x24 Olfa Frosted, 6x24 Omnigrid with the yellow lines, and a 8.5 x 24.5 Creative Grids. At one time, I had a Quilter's Rule 6x24 with the raised ridges on the bottom.

Of the above 4, I like the Olfa Frosted the best, and actively dislike the Quilter's Rule with the raised ridges.

For the majority of the things I cut, I find the 8.5 x 24.5 ruler a bit unwieldy - I also find that I have to "pay very close attention" to what I am doing when I use a Creative Grids ruler.

There are two rulers that I use a lot - a 3x18 Omnigrid ruler that has a 1/8 inch grid, and a 4x8 Omnigrid ruler that has a 1/8 inch grid.

But because I am a bit scattered, I tend to use whichever ruler I find - except for the Quilter's Rule ones - I wore an arc into the sides of them and they were put in the trash.

I have and use both 6 x 24 and 8 x 24. Wouldn't be without the 6 x 24.
    The 8 x 24 is convenient but not essential. IMHO.
    Nice to have both if you can afford.

My 6 x 24 is also my go-to ruler. If I am cutting a wider piece than 6 inches I usually use my June Taylor Shape cutter. It never occurred to me to get a wider ruler, so I can't say if I would like it or not. At one point I had a 6 x 18 and when it needed to be replaced I went with the 6 x 24.

I have both and use both - but when I'm cutting strips off yardage, I like the wider one. If I could only have one I would have the 81/2. I'm so used to it that the size does not seem unwieldy.

same here 6.5 x 24...have the 8.5 x 24 and barely use it...

I use my 8 1/2"x24 most of the time when cutting yardage. I absolutely need more than one 24" ruler, not because I need different widths, but because I often butt one up against the other when I need to cut something wider than a single ruler's width, or when my last cut edge is on the right of the table (so I can continue to measure and cut without turning the fabric around).

I recently purchased a Quilter's Select 6 1/2" X 24" ruler and I love it. I'm left handed and markings run both ways so I don't have to turn it around or think about which number to use. It also has a coating on the bottom than keeps it from slipping.

I have both of the rulers you're considering and I use the 8.5" much more that the 6.5".

Well I had to make a decision. The responses were mixed, but since I have a 6" x 24" - not CG, I decided to go for the 8 1/2" x 24". Was worried about it being too cumbersome and my real estate is limited. Hope I won't be sorry.

wesing: Just saw your reply. I am curious. Why do you prefer using the 8 1/2" more over the 6 1/2"?

Blog Entries
    I love my 8 1/2 x 24 ruler. just got a newer one recently. kept my old one but i'd glued a guard on it and made it hard to see some of the measurements. 6 or 6 1/2 would be too small for me. but it's your choice in what you do the most.

I use the 8 1/2 x 24 1/2 to assure the cuts are perfectly perpendicular to the fold. I don't need the 6 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
    wesing: Just saw your reply. I am curious. Why do you prefer using the 8 1/2" more over the 6 1/2"?
    I can't say with certainty why I like the 8.5" better. The one I use the most is the 8.5" by 12.5". It has the "new" markings on it and they are much easier to read. Both of my 24.5" rulers have the "old" style markings. I think the flexibility of being able to cut more sizes with the 8.5" is the main reason I use it more. I usually don't cut strips wider than 6.5" but I think I sub cut larger pieces and I don't have to switch rulers. Here is a pic of all three so you can see the difference in the old and new style of markings.

Name:  IMG_0961.JPG
Views: 1171
Size:  1.64 MB

We use both at the store for cutting yardage. I prefer the 6 1/2," it's just easier to handle because it's smaller and weighs a little less.
    Annette in Utah

Blog Entries
    i'm not sure i could explain why but i usually reach for my 8-1/2" x 24-1/2" Creative Grids whenever i need to cut from a piece or stack that's longer than 12". it might be the fact that it's heavier than my 4-1/2" by 24-1/2". the extra weight makes it less likely to slip.

i didn't know CG made an 8-1/2" x 12-1/2". i will need to get one of those. it will come in handy when i need to cut or check strips and blocks wider than 6-1/2".
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

I love the 8 1/2 x 24" ruler because it gives me more space to line up my fabric. It is my go to ruler, and I also have one that is 8 1/2 x 12" for cutting smaller pieces.

Blog Entries
    I purchased the 8 1/2 one several years ago. It was an impulse purchase. It is one of the best impulse purchases I have made. When I brought it home I questioned the need for it as I have the 6 inch one. My 6 inch ruler hangs on my pegboard and I use the 8 1/2 almost exclusively.

It doesn't look like Olfa frosted makes a 8.5" x 24". Is anyone able to find that size?

Ai prefer 6.5 wide

I have both but seem to use them equally. I guess whichever one is within reach!

One other note, I also use my 8.5" x 24" ruler as my "folding" ruler for yardages over one yard. It works well and is close enough to 9" that I can estimate the yardage I've got by the number of folds (4x9 = 36", so one yard).
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast