Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 6 Hour Quilt - ??????

To those who have tried this method. Is there a specific reason for the 1/2 inch seam allowance. I have some running 8ths I might try this with and the strips are 5.5 and would love to have finished strips at 5. Also have you ever just made it as a square instead of a rectangle?

G

Bump. Can any one help answer my question:

Is there a specific reason for the 1/2 inch seam allowance? I have some running 8ths I might try this with and the strips are 5.5 and would love to have finished strips at 5. Also have you ever just made it as a square instead of a rectangle?

G

I always used a 1/4" seam allowance....so your 5.5 would work perfectly. And you can make it any size you want. Usually the ones I make are for wheelchair users so a rectangle works best.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting G
    Bump. Can any one help answer my question:

Is there a specific reason for the 1/2 inch seam allowance? I have some running 8ths I might try this with and the strips are 5.5 and would love to have finished strips at 5. Also have you ever just made it as a square instead of a rectangle?

G
    I use 1/4" seams (with all that thickness, it's more like a 3/8") and it works. I've also used the 5.5" ruler to cut strips and that, too, works.

What are "running 8ths"?

About the square -- you would have to cut the first pieces differently to form a square, but it would work. You would just have to do the math. I like the rectangles :lol:

GailG,
    Running 8th are a fabric with 8 diffferent panels runing the length of the fabric. Each panel is 5.5" and it is called a running 8th. I found some at wallmart $2.44 yard, that was really nice. Saw some and Joann's 6ish a yard and not as nice.
    Wallmart also sold some of the prints in the running 8ths in regular yardage.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting G
    GailG,
    Running 8th are a fabric with 8 diffferent panels runing the length of the fabric. Each panel is 5.5" and it is called a running 8th. I found some at wallmart $2.44 yard, that was really nice. Saw some and Joann's 6ish a yard and not as nice.
    Wallmart also sold some of the prints in the running 8ths in regular yardage.

G
    Thanks. I think I may have some of that in my stash. Who knew??
    Probably picked it up at Walmart before they closed down their fabric dept.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2