Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 6 Hour Quilt - ??????

Banned
    Has anyone ever made this quilt by Kaye Wood?

do you have a pic of the quilt?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrie
    do you have a pic of the quilt?
    heres a pic taken from the show.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is that the one that is pieced directly on the batting and backing? Kind of flip and stitch?

Quote Originally Posted by mgshaw
    Is that the one that is pieced directly on the batting and backing? Kind of flip and stitch?
    It looks like it--really easy. I have never made one myself, but have friends who have made them.

Banned
    I didn't get to see the show but I'm thinking its a quilt as you go.......

Banned
    I've even seen on that show where you do a kids top and just put fleece on the back. Anyone ever do that?

Here is the web site http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting_tips/article/0,,HGTV_3307_1376658,00.html

Hi!
    The first quilt as you go I did was very similar...may have even been from the same show. I was looking for the pattern for someone recently & couldnt' find it. It went pretty fast but I didn't finish the same day. I think I put the front, batting, and back together in a day but still had to do the binding. The binding took longer than the project! It turned out pretty cute with a nice set of prints and minkee back. I've not used the fleece backing but know people who have. I prefer minkee or minkee dot and have done a couple with just the print and minkee. It stays together a very long time and holds up to frequent washing.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    Hi!
    The first quilt as you go I did was very similar...may have even been from the same show. I was looking for the pattern for someone recently & couldnt' find it. It went pretty fast but I didn't finish the same day. I think I put the front, batting, and back together in a day but still had to do the binding. The binding took longer than the project! It turned out pretty cute with a nice set of prints and minkee back. I've not used the fleece backing but know people who have. I prefer minkee or minkee dot and have done a couple with just the print and minkee. It stays together a very long time and holds up to frequent washing.
    What's a minkee?

When you're at your favorite fabric store, check it out. It's a polyester that feels like nothing else. Kids love it. It's super soft until mommies bleach it like crazy, wash after wash but remains pretty soft----softer than a well washed cotton.

Minkee dot has raised polka dots the same color as the background fabric and minkee is a plainer, flat version....it's kinda like velour of yesteryear but ultra soft. I LOVE IT, but it is pricey. I use the dot for most girl projects and for the boys, regular minkee. It's colorful, amazing stuff.

I haven't bought from this company, but saw a pic to share:
    http://www.creations-online.com/fabrics/minkee_030405.htm

I love Minkee too!!! It feels like Heaven. I have made "quilts" for my granddaughters with it. But a lot of long arm quilters will not quilt with it. It stretches really easily. The quilts I have made have been minkee on one side, a single piece of coordinating flannel on the other, no batting, and I just machine tack the 2 layers together here and there. Then I add binding out of the flannel. They are plenty heavy and warm because of the minkee and my granddaughters drag them all over the house and just love them!!!

I have a pack of minkee charms and baby/kid flannel ready to be made into a quilt- now to finish my other projects.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by retrogirl02
    When you're at your favorite fabric store, check it out. It's a polyester that feels like nothing else. Kids love it. It's super soft until mommies bleach it like crazy, wash after wash but remains pretty soft----softer than a well washed cotton.

Minkee dot has raised polka dots the same color as the background fabric and minkee is a plainer, flat version....it's kinda like velour of yesteryear but ultra soft. I LOVE IT, but it is pricey. I use the dot for most girl projects and for the boys, regular minkee. It's colorful, amazing stuff.

I haven't bought from this company, but saw a pic to share:
    http://www.creations-online.com/fabrics/minkee_030405.htm
    Oh that is cool. I'll check to see if Joann's here has it
    Thanks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    I love Minkee too!!! It feels like Heaven. I have made "quilts" for my granddaughters with it. But a lot of long arm quilters will not quilt with it. It stretches really easily. The quilts I have made have been minkee on one side, a single piece of coordinating flannel on the other, no batting, and I just machine tack the 2 layers together here and there. Then I add binding out of the flannel. They are plenty heavy and warm because of the minkee and my granddaughters drag them all over the house and just love them!!!
    Such good ideas from you gals. I'll have to give it a try.......
    Thanks ladies

I've made many of these quilts, and have given them away. The best thing I find is to cut the fabric and batting one day, and then start putting it together the next day. The large size took me two days, but I'm probably slower then anyone else.
    I believe you can order a book like I did, or have it sent by e-mail.

Have fun with it,

simple quilter

Yes, and it was very easy. Makes a great charity quilt for children and lap quilts for ther wheel chair bound. When done piecing it is done! It is kind of a qult as you sew.
    Connie

I've made a couple of quilts with this technique. It took me about 12 hours because I don't have a serger. So first I stitched the seams with a regular straight stitch and then I had to go back over them with a zigzag to flatten them out. If you don't do this, it will get really bulky since the seams have 4 layers of fabric and 2 layers of batting and the seams are 1/2" instead of 1/4"

Blog Entries
    Hi Bev,
    I have that pattern, it's called "The 6-Hour Quilt" by Kaye Wood. I have made several of them, in the past. They are very easy, but I have never finished one in six hours. It takes me anywhere from two days to a week, to completely finish mine. Depending on how much time I can spend working on it per day. You'll really like the pattern. If you need more info, just PM me. Good Luck with your project!! :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by key4unc
    I've made a couple of quilts with this technique. It took me about 12 hours because I don't have a serger. So first I stitched the seams with a regular straight stitch and then I had to go back over them with a zigzag to flatten them out. If you don't do this, it will get really bulky since the seams have 4 layers of fabric and 2 layers of batting and the seams are 1/2" instead of 1/4"
    I am so glad you posted key4unc. I bought the book last night cause some times I can't wait to finish a project and it looked easy. ebook was $5.95 anyway read the instructions and was wondering why she wanted you to zigzag the edges after the seam allowance. So now I know. The patter is vary eazy looking but looks like it would use alot of fabric and have a lot of scraps after.

G

Hi QuiltingG. It's been a long time since I've made one of these. But I don't remember having a lot of scraps left over. I actually made one of these from scrap pieces. Just keep sewing fabric strips together with the necessary width until you get the length that's needed. I think this is a great technique to use up scrap fabric.

And here's a tip for finishing off the binding:
    When you're done with the quilt, cut 8 2" strips the length of the quilt. Put 4 of these strips on one side (2 on botton; 2 on top) and sew them on the same the same way you did all the other pieces of the quilt--no batting--just 4 strips on each side. Press to the outside. Now tack that down with either just a running stitch (definitely double sticth that one) or any decorative stitch you want to use---just where you feel that last seam stops--believe me you will feel it.. Now cut 8 2" strips the new width of the quilt and repeat the above instructions. Now clip all the way around like you would in a rag quilt. Wash and done.

I've made these before and they are really easy. I used the "stitch and flip" method. Another easy way to do the binding is to make the back about 2" bigger all the way around. Then fold over once and over once again and either hand stitch or machine stitch around the top.

That's a good tip too Joyce. Of course I'd forget to cut the backing wider on 1 of the 4 pieces :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    I've made these before and they are really easy. I used the "stitch and flip" method. Another easy way to do the binding is to make the back about 2" bigger all the way around. Then fold over once and over once again and either hand stitch or machine stitch around the top.
    So am I understanding correctly? On your last go-round of strips, you cut the backing fabric 2" bigger so that you can fold it to the front? That sounds great. I just bind as I usually do. This technique would really save time.

I've made several of these Kaye Wood quilts. Really good to use up the scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by GailG
    Quote Originally Posted by sewjoyce
    So am I understanding correctly? On your last go-round of strips, you cut the backing fabric 2" bigger so that you can fold it to the front? That sounds great. I just bind as I usually do. This technique would really save time.

I've made several of these Kaye Wood quilts. Really good to use up the scraps.

You got it!! :-) :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast