Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
60mm Cutter >

60mm Cutter

60mm Cutter

Old 06-24-2017, 07:12 AM

Also I forgot to mention Martelli has a YouTube channel. Their video on the cutter explains the ergonomics of it as well as demonstrating the correct way to use it. Try watching the video before ordering.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Another vote for the Martelli! I first got mine when I was recovering from carpal tunnel surgery, and have never gone back to anything else! Takes some getting used to but I can cut for hours, hand is not a problem
Old 06-24-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
Here is another vote for Martelli. They do make a 60mm and it positions your hand and arm correctly when you cut. There is a learning curve, but well worth it. You can order direct from https://shop.martellinotions.com/erg...y-cutters.html . They have big sales once or twice per year, but the regular price on their cutters is reasonable.

Second choice would be the Olfa ergonomic. If you use this one, place your index finger on the top where the grooved texture is. A lot of people don't do that and they don't get the full benefit of the ergonomics.

I agree with wesing. I have both the 60 mm Olfa and the 60 mm Martelli. I actually really like both of them, though I noticed that the blade flexes more with the Martelli than the Olfa. If you watch carefully, you can find deals on Olfa blades on Amazon. As wesing said, Martelli has what they call redline sales a few times a year (sign up on their website to get emails about the sales).
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM

I have a Martelli 45mm but find it hard to use, but admit that if I used it all the time I'd probably get the hang of it better.
I have and Olfa and one from Accuquilt, and a Fiskars 45mm cutter--all work the same and I frankly see little difference.
I also have a dark blue 60mm--can't remember the brand name, but you can use it with either hand easily and I find that is what I prefer if I'm cutting much fabric and certainly if cutting many layers.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:15 AM

I think your dark blue one is a Kia (or something like that). I had one given to me, and like it. The blade automatically retracts when not using it, and automatically cuts when pressure is applied. It's really different than most cutters.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 AM

May I ask why do you use the 60 mm blade? I have 3 Olfa 60 mm cutters which I probably use a couple of times a year, I recently used it to cut headliner. I used to use them daily years ago but then Shar Jorgensen got me to try out the 28mm and I feel less strain on my wrist. However, like everyone else said you have to try out the individual cutter to find what suits you.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:46 PM

I was using the 60 because it could cut though many layers at once but then I tried using it to cut strips in my strip tool and it keeps bumping the plastic slots. So I must've ruined the blade since it now skips over 2 layers in spots. I'm having a difficult time finding the blades for it locally & was looking into what Joann's has on hand before deciding, either that or order a multi-pack of blades to make it work. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 PM

I have had the 60mm Olfa for many years and love it, though I had recently had issues if I cut too long. I bought the Martelli when they had a sale (I want to say it was 50% off) and I am still getting used to it. Definitely follow the directions about finger placement because the Martelli has a mind of its own if you don't. The Olfa is easier to use the first time and You can get them on sale at JA's frequently.