Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
60mm Cutter >

60mm Cutter

60mm Cutter

Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Default 60mm Cutter

I'm in the market for a new 60 mm rotary cutter that wouldn't hinder my cuts w carpal tunnel. What would you recommend I get & stay away from? Thanks!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:46 PM

If it was me I would get the Olfa Deluxe Rotary Cutter which is ergonomic.
I have the 45mm and it fits very well in my hand. You'll have to try and
see which one fits best in your hand. What fits mine might not necessarily
fit yours. It's like shoes.
Doesn't matter what rotary cutter you get, you still have to take breaks.
I find that the Slidelock ruler really helps my carpal tunnel. I don't have
to put as much pressure on my hands. I don't even use the wrist brace
anymore but I do take lots of breaks.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:00 AM

I have the red Martelli cutter, which is a 45 mm, and it really keeps your wrist straight when you use it. They make a left handed cutter, too. Their blades are very sharp. Happy customer here. I don't know if they have a 60 mm cutter, though, you'd have to look into it. Their customer service is also very good. I had a problem with the spring on mine and they replaced it lickety split.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 AM

I do not have wrist problems but I really like the Olfa ergonomic cutter. I have always used the regular one but had an opportunity to buy the ergonomic one for a great price and decided I'd like a second cutter. I also like it because it automatically closes after each cut. I am not familiar with any of the other mentioned; and, because I am happy with what I have, I don't plan to buy anything else.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 AM

I have several friend with different hand issues. All of us use different rotary cutters. I'd suggest you try them out. If you belong to a quilting group ask around and ask to try whatever they have. Or, maybe the LQS could help you,
though I doubt it.
I can't use the newer cutters because I have to use to much pressure. I use the older Olfa, the one with a pistol like grip. I lock the blade in place before cutting the release it after cutting. I can only cut through 2 layers of fabric at a time due to my issues.
Aren't we fortunate we have so many choices. That way we can find what works for each of us.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Here is another vote for Martelli. They do make a 60mm and it positions your hand and arm correctly when you cut. There is a learning curve, but well worth it. You can order direct from https://shop.martellinotions.com/erg...y-cutters.html . They have big sales once or twice per year, but the regular price on their cutters is reasonable.

Second choice would be the Olfa ergonomic. If you use this one, place your index finger on the top where the grooved texture is. A lot of people don't do that and they don't get the full benefit of the ergonomics.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:22 PM

you can also check out the martelli
Old 06-24-2017, 03:03 AM

It's funny because when I started quilting in 2010 I purchased a 60mm cutter but I rarely use it...the 45mm is my go to cutter and I use both Olfa and Fiskars. I have looked at the Martelli but the grip is completely different so you should try one out first.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:09 AM

I found the Olfa ergonomic cutter very hard on my wrist. I got a Martelli cutter, and gave the Olfa away. For carpal tunnel it definitely gets my recommendation.

One caution with the Martelli cutter - you do have to hold it "correctly" for it to work. This means extending your index finger along the back, and holding the handle with the other three fingers. If you try to wrap all four fingers around the handle (like pushing a shopping cart) you won't have any control.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 AM

I also like the Martelli cutters. I swear because of the correct angle of the blade while cutting, the blades last longer. If your guild has a workday ask to try others cutters to see what works best for you. We are all different.