Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
8 Year Olds >

8 Year Olds

8 Year Olds

Old 12-04-2009, 06:51 AM

my 8 yr old asked for one in july and i bought the purple pixie from walmart and when i pluged it in, it just started going crazy i snached it out the wall took it back, and gave her one of mine, its a brother! and it has to many buttons on it so she's a little scared of it!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Kids are so smart they really know what they like.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 AM

That is so cool - has she made anything yet that you can post for us? Maybe even set her up her own username on here...she could be our youngest member!

My DD is 9 and picked out a knitting thing at the store the other day instead of "toys", which thankfully she is outgrowing.

My DS is 7, and he is the one asking to sew. I let him use my Janome 1600P at the lowest speed, but I think I am going to get out the Gem and set it up for him to work on even if I am not right there, that way I can also sew! He just grabs scraps and puts them together, layed on top of each other, so I have an art quilter in the making!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by KGoodhand
Mine has asked a couple times, but mommy is a little nervous about letting her try. How did you get over the nerves?!?
Kendra... it was not without hesitation that I let them try out sewing on my machine. But, I sat my youngest on my lap, I worked the foot pedal and she helped me guide the fabric. She did well. My 8 year old I tried to do the same but she wasn't having any of that, she did great on her own as did my 11 year old. Let them have a go... maybe they will love it too!

Toda we went to the LQS and she picked out some precut squares. She had more fun than I thought she would deciding what order to put her squares in. Once she figured out a pattern it was like the light shone down and angels sang.. she was thrilled! She christened her machine, although she was unhappy I made her practice on scrap fabric first... lol She sewed a one row together and will do more tomorrow. What a happy girl!
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 AM

I can't wait for my grandkids to ask to help and want to sew. My almost 4 yr. old twin granddaughters watch me sew and I hope one day they will want to learn my DD had no interest in sewing at all.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

That is wonderful! I always love to hear about the young ones getting interested.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Suz

I have been working with Larisa (13), a friend's daughter but more like a granddaughter, for six years. We meet once a week for several hours. Her handquilting is the envy of adults, about 11 stitches an inch. I had taken one of her cheater cloths to an outing where I knew several quilts would be there. They "ooed" and "awed" and were then astounded to learn that Larisa had done it while still 12. Her stitches are straight and even. I contracted her to quilt a baby quilt for me. She is better now than I was at my best. She is just a natural, loves applique, has made and handquilted a twin quilt.

Start them early. The comparison of Larisa's work from when she was eight is amazing.

She thanks and thanks me for my time and help. I call her my sponge; just absorbs everything. My only requirement of her is to one day pass it on to others which is biblical wherein "the older women shall teach the young". She will.

Love this youngster as my own. Suzanne
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

It is just terrific that you are starting your daughter early!! We do need to keep the art going!! And what a wonderful way to spend some mom-daughter time!!

When my older grands were young they begged to make a quilt. When Cody was about 9 or 10 I had these samples of men's suit fabrics. They were in a samples book from a men's store. some were wool some were linen etc. Cody sewed rows of 10 together and then sewed the rows together. It was the size of a large lap quilt and because of all the wool it was very very heavy! But really warm! He was so pleased with himself!

Recently I signed two of my grands up for the kids Doll Quilt swap. But the ones that really got into making the a DQ were my twin grandsons who just turned 6 Nov 23rd. They both got really excited and stayed with it all the way through! They were so proud of what they made! I wished I had signed them up but I think they were happy to take theirs home and show Mom. Yes I did some hand on hand but they did a great job. They even picked out their own fabric for their borders. And I had them make design decisions along the way. It was fun to work with them on the little quilts! I hope to set up a machine they can use instead of having them use my Singer.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 AM

That is so great that your DD wants to sew and quilt! She will probably be a designer of quilts when she grow up.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:29 PM

I don't have children, but I have worked with children on sewing and quilting projects and it is the most rewarding experience. Wish I could teach to dogs to sew, if they had their own machine, maybe one or the other would not want to be in my lap while I am sewing. SharonNYC