Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!! >

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

AAARRRGGGGGG!!!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 AM

I do mine "envelope style". Baste front to batting (I use pins) place front/batting right side together with backing. Sew all around leaving a gap to turn right side out. (much like sewing lining in purses). Turn right side out. Sew around edge again to keep everything in place. Quilt as desired.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 AM

I did mine the pillow case method, easy and no binding to worry about.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:31 AM

I did mine with binding & hand sewed it very closely!
They didn't refuse it!
I'm sure they just don't want the binding loose.
So it doesn't get caught on any tubing.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 AM

I usually try to put the quilt to one corner of the backing. I use whatever closely matches from my own stash to bind, sewing on the back first and then top stitching the front. Sometimes I have fabric that closely matches the backing and I use some of the backing. Either way, the kids will love their own personal quilt. This project is a great one and I love the ease in putting together the top. Sorry you have had problems. As nana pat said, just relax with this. Smile, get 'er done and ship it out. Great job well done.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 AM

I use the birthing method....NO binding needed
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Hey Gem sorry you got so frustrated. I just wanted to say thank you for making these quilts for the little ones. You have a great heart!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
How on earth do you do this type of binding without cutting the stupid backing fabric????
I have finished several quilts this way over the years. Once it is all together and quilted, I lay it out flat on a flat surface. Then I use a pair of shears to cut the top layer and batting away from the sandwich. I simply glide the bottom flat edge of the shears along the top of the backing fabric.

As long as the sandwich is flat, I have never had a problem with cutting the backing. I may use a rotary cutter and ruler to trim the backing to size AFTER the excess is cut away. But I usually just use the shears again, as the edge will be folded away inside the quilt and no one will see it.

As others have said, if you aren't comfortable with this method then use a method you are comfortable with. As long as the quilt is well constructed, they won't turn it away and it will be loved. :)
Old 07-27-2010, 03:18 PM

I agree with using scissors on the top and batting only after quilting. Then use your rotary cutter to trim the backing. Remember to breathe!!

Yeah, I finally figured out how to do pictures!!!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM

As long as the binding is machine sewn is the main thing. and not hand sewn, because the quilts are washed so much.
On my downy quilts I always sew the binding to the front, using my own fabric if I have too. On one quilt they sent enough fabric after trimming the quilt top I had enough to make a binding. They will be glad to get your donated quilt. :lol:
Old 07-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Dee

Just do it the way you always do it.