Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aack..me and my half baked ideas, your thoughts? >

Aack..me and my half baked ideas, your thoughts?

Aack..me and my half baked ideas, your thoughts?

Old 06-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

A queen mattress is 60x80, so it would be 30" each side from the middle to the edge, if you have any concerns re where the seams are on the sides. Did you get through the storm OK? Got lots of info from friends on the western side if the Cities that had tree damage or in Mpls that had no powe for days.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cowpie2 View Post
I'm leaning towards machine quilting the background and then hand quilting inside the Hexi's. I like the idea of Quilt as you Go. Might work for this one. It sure would make the machine quilting easier and if I do the 30x30 which will be 3 blocks by 3 blocks with a top and bottom border, the size would be nice for the quilting part and there wouldn't be a lot of joining.
I was thinking more about this, this aftn, and yes, 3 across, would give you 90 and then a reasonable border. Check out "Muv" and take a look at her Diamond Jubilee quilt .... totally her design, all machine quilted, QAYG ..... and totally done on a treadle. An amazing piece of work!!! It might give you some ideas for the assembly.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 PM

One of my first few quilts was a 12-inch square, with the hexies in the shape of a flower (with 3 rounds), then appliqued onto the square, and separated by 3-inch sashing. Back then it was because I didn't know any better, and it was more to get the right size than anything else, but it turned out nicely, and I still have it. Did the same thing with a Dresden plate pattern, and still have it, too.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM

We made it through the storm without too much damage, mostly because we have recently had to take down several of our large trees. Our power was out for 5 days though, never so happy as when that came back on. Lucky for us the other side of the street had power so we ran a power cord across the street to keep our sump pump and deep freeze going.

I was thinking if I do 3 30" squares across that will allow for across the top of the bed and drape so no center seam.
Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
A queen mattress is 60x80, so it would be 30" each side from the middle to the edge, if you have any concerns re where the seams are on the sides. Did you get through the storm OK? Got lots of info from friends on the western side if the Cities that had tree damage or in Mpls that had no powe for days.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:19 PM

I say use Marci Baker's strip method for her Not Your Grandma's Flower Garden. Looks like hexagons and pretty fabulous. She has a site called aliciasattic.com where you can buy the book.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:40 AM

Just a thought on helping you handle the unwieldy hexies when trying to put together....use a small paper clip, the kind that are spring loaded clippy type....to hold the opposite sides together evenly while you whip stitch its other end.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 AM

I am confused. Do you want flowers scattered over the quilt or a "bunch of flowers" on the quilt. either way you could applique each flower ( or more ) in blocks and then add connecting stems/leaves after blocks are assembled. and maybe flowers over the seams lines to fill in any holes. having you neice help lay out the flowers in the blocks and then sewing would make project portible. You could make 10" blocks making 6x10" x 8 x10" plus borders. making top of quilt 60x80. Of course show us the finished picture!

Last edited by bigsister63; 06-28-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 AM

I would probably do a whole cloth and I would probably opt for bright colored balloons with strings floating in the breeze using the larger 2" size for closeup balloons ranging backward to smaller and smaller balloons indicating they were at a distance. You could then quilt it with any design that gave the balloons movement.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM

I've learned so much reading these ideas and recommendations. I REALLY want you too do a picture of this quilt when ou are finished. I am having a hard time visualizing but it sounds interesting and stunning. Can't wait.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM

Option 2 seems the best for me.